waiting way longer than usual to load forum areas since new server online - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Has anyone else been having problems with topic areas and the main forum area list loading extremely slowly?

It's taking me 60-90 seconds to get into the forum and another 60-90 to get into each area of discussion. It used to take MAYBE 10 seconds. Once I'm into the posts, I can load each post quite quickly. I also can load posts from email response notifications quickly.

If you've had this problem, post it and send email to tech support. If you've fixed it, post it. No other site has given me this problem. I would like to get it solved since an extra minute to get into each topic area adds up late at night.

Explorer 5.0 Win 98

Thanks
Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 07:22 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I've been told there 'were' some problems with access via bellsouth - not sure if this applies to you or not. for the most part I'm hearing that all the speeds are remarkably faster than before.

try this:
open a a dos prompt and type:
tracert camaros.net

any * * * in the results indicates a trouble spot on the route to this server. Let me know what you find out and either I'll look into it or inquire about it (if it's out of our hands).
this server is located in Florida. It's been good access from over 20 tested spots, but perhaps something ain't right from your area.

It sorta sounds like your provider hasn't updated all the records yet and is doing a lookup each time you access the site. This should have settled down by now.
Try the direct number route: http://64.65.9.53
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, the tracert command showed no problems. The ping was quite low. I have never had a problem bringing up the camaros.net site. All movements in it are fast until I select Camaro Tech. Then the blue bar showing the loading becomes incredibly slow and takes over a minute to bring the page up. As stated, once into a topic session, the individual topics load very quickly. I use Sprint Earthlink as a provider. Are these the exact problems the bell south people had?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

After calling Sprint about the problem, I was greeted by an intro message on their tech support line---Earthlink users are experiencing difficulties in accessing some sites. Our technicians are working on it.

Looks like I'll have to wait until they fix this crap.

Thanks
Lance
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 05:24 AM

I'm on Earthlink on the west coast, and have at times, had difficulty in getting pages up in a timely manner. When calling tech, I get no problems, but it happens with both my laptop, which I am on now, and my big PC.

I could believe for a little bit, it being my computer, but both, no, I don't think so.

I literally have to disconnect then reconnect to Earthlink to get the thing going. Same connect speed is shown, just as if the connection is asleep or something. Other times, everything flat hauls butt and smokes fast. Who knows.

My computer friend says it is in Earthlink's computers I dial into, but they say no. When it gets real bad, he calls tech and they get it fixed on their end until they mess with something in their end again. Something about Earthlink servers being real friendly twords 3-com modems, and not at all twords Zoom.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 05:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Al,

I am on gte.net (uu.net) and did a tracert after 8 hops it went to * * * requested time out. My access has been ok. I will forward the results in e-mail.

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 07:11 AM
Bill

Lance,
If anything, I have found it exactly the opposite.....blazing fast compared to the old server ! I am on Mindspring in the Washington DC area. Might be your provider..I had problems a year or so ago with a couple of local providers.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I still don't have good access today. I did get two topic areas to load at the new really fast speed but then after that, it went back to creeping. I tried connecting to all the other sites in my favorites area and have no troubles at all. Getting to this post reply screen took 1 minute and 34 seconds. I am opening multiple windows now so I can get several topic areas loaded up at a time. It adds an extra half hour just to check all the new posts and review older ones.

Lance
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 02:20 PM
Bill

Lance,
See if your provider has another phone number in another part of your area. I have several numbers on file for Mindspring...sometimes the local one gets slow and I use one that is about 30 miles away but still a local call. At least you will see if it is something with the local phone connection.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 08-19-2000).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've tried several dial up numbers for different servers but get no change. Again, the only problem is with this forum. All the other sites load as normal.

The recorded message on the Earthlink help line still says some sites are being difficult to load for Earthlink customers and that they're working on it. I assume others are having similar problems with other sites.

I'll wait a few days longer to see if it resolves. If not, I'll start "previewing" other services. I can't deal with not having good access to this site!

Does anyone else here use Earthlink and is not having problems?

LH
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 00, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

I'm using earthlink and it started running slow after I had to use a different dial in number, I think I will call them tomorrow and try to get a different one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech

I have UUNET, its a T3 ,I dont notice any slowdowns, and I have a video conference going also, and it seems fine. I can get a return time of <10NS from the host site for this board of 209.163.244.1 and 209.163.244.2

add them to your lookup tables for a faster hunt. your local machine wont have to ask the users isp for the ip address and dns of the host (camaros.net) your machine will know where to go . either that or get a closer dialup access # , closer to the CO of your telephone company.

or call when everyone else in the west coast is sleeping. I am on the east coast so at 9am its only 6am there, and its always speedy...

Al , I didnt know you were in Canaduh...hehehehe
------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 08-25-2000).]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

SOLVED!!!!!---I kept trying different dial up numbers in my area until I got one that didn't have the lag. I had to put in different numbers around Dallas since my provider only gives the two closest to the ph# entered. This will be my camaro log on number only since it is 26.4 but is much better than waiting for the other server to load this site in about two minutes along with all the discussion areas.

I finally confirmed with a guy at Earthlink that some server dial ins were having trouble with some sites. He suggested the search for other local ph#s by entering different DFW area numbers as reference. A couple of you guys were on it too.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions
Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode