valvetrain "chirp" - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

I just rebuilt a 350, 30 over, new SR Torqer cast iron heads, 2.02 intake valves, 1.250" single spring 100# seat, 67 cc chamber, Comp Cams 238 hydraulic cam, 262 adv duration, .462 lift. 110 separation. I used stamped steel 1.5 rockers with slotted pivot balls.
After the engine warms up, I get a "chirp" which sounds like a belt chirp but it isn't. I can narrow it down to a couple of valves and by adjusting the nut 1/8 turn either way, the "chirp" goes away, but it soon returns. I have replaced the slotted balls with smooth balls and everything was ok for about 50 miles, then the "chirp" came back. It was suggested that I go to roller rockers but they are expensive and my machinist is not sure if this will solve the problem. Any one ever have this "chirp" in their valve train. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 07:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

I had a problem similar to what your saying and it was from a lack of proper oiling. How is that set of pushrods and rockers looking as far as lubrication goes?

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The pushrods are new and so is the high pressure oil pump. At idle the guage reads about 30 psi when the engine is cold. When the engine is hot it is about 10 psi. With the engine running (hot) at about 600 RPM the oil is coming out of the pushrods but not with much force (it sort of oozes out of the pushrod), but the valley of the rocker where the ball is, is filling with oil. Revving th engine does make the oil squirt all over the place. The chirp is not there when the engine is cold, its only after it warms up. Another mechanic looked at the oil and said it looked normal. You stated that your problem was a lack of proper oiling. Could you elaborate on this. Thanks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 12:40 PM

With the added lift of your cam, your push rod may be hitting the end of the slot where it comes thur the head.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if there is interference between the pushrod and the rocker at full lift.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 05:40 PM

I would check Head gasket I had a motor with a loud "chirp".It was the head gasket.I too thought it was in the top end
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

How did you narrow it to the head gasket, Were you losing coolant? If it was the head gasket, why would tightening or loosening the nut(s) on the rocker arms make the chirp go away (at least for a little while).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode