1968 "GEN" light - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,
I can't see to find the source problem of my GEN warning light. I have had the alternator tested, replaced the regulator, and made new connections and splices for the wiring involved in the system. The only thing that I have not checked is the under-dash connection. I have not taken the time to trace the wire coming off of the regulator yet. Any suggestions or things that I have not done?

The only changes that I made between last week and this week was added headers. I had to disconnect the starter and take out the power steering gear box to get them in. The car is a 1968 BB convert.
Thanks for the help
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 06:42 PM
David Pozzi

any chance you left a wire off the starter?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am going to recheck the starter wires tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
Rick

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I made new connections to the starter today and made sure that all the correct wires were hooked up and I charged the battery to capacity overnight, the GEN light is still on. I have had the alternator tested, put in a new regulator, made sure that I have good connections to the starter and made sure that any splices in the lines are new and tight. I can't think of anything else to do other than to buy a new alternator. Maybe the guy who tested it was high on something. Any other suggestions??
Rick
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 05:46 PM
David Pozzi

Make shure you have juice at the alternator bat connector, red wire. You should have juice all the time, even with engine off.

If the alternator has some miles on it the brushes could be worn out and maybe it tested ok but could flake out on the car. I have even seen the brushes turn sideways when the brush holder wears.
You can full field the alternator by poking a small screwdriver into the back of the Alternator. With the terminal plug at 12 o'clock position, look at the two or three o'clock position for the hole.You have to find a D shaped hole about 5/16".

You will see a metal tang just thru the hole. you need to short the tang to the alternator case with the engine at 800 to 1000 rpm. Then have someone look at the light while you make the connection. This bypasses the voltage regulator, and makes the alternator put out full amps.
If the light goes out, you have a wiring problem, or voltage regulator problem. If the light stays on you have a bad alternator.

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-08-2000).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

Dave Is the test you describe for an altenator with internal regulator?
The 68 has an extetrnal regulator, if you want to bypass the regulator, disconnect the plug, there are two wires that have to be jumped, (Don't know which ones right now), any ways the Gen light wiring is some what of a strange bird.
When the key is turned on, not running the light comes on, power is fed from the swithch through the light and then to the altenator, the circuit is grounded internal of the altenator, when the engines starts and the altenator starts to produce current, power is then reversed through the circuit. since you have a positive 12 volts on both sides of the light and no ground the light then goes out.
Test your altenator, hook up a volt meter at the battery start the engine the voltage should rise to about 13 -14 volts, if it does not then the altenator or regulator is at fault, Try this test first and if you need more info place another post i can outline the full test procedures as it is quite extensive.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 10:56 AM
David Pozzi

Rob,
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the internal regulator type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode