rich condition - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I am experiencing a rich condition on a newly rebuilt 350.I can put in a new set of plugs drive it 5 or so miles, come back and the plugs are black and carbon fouled.If I continue to drive the car it sputters in the lower rpm's and eventually even in the upper rpm's.every thing in and on the engine is new except for the ignition system(which woked fine before the rebuild)Here is what the combo is 750 holley dp 72/76 jets 4.5 power valve(plugged rear),victor jr.,dart iron eagle heads 205/160 W/215cc runners,comp cams camshaft 250/[email protected] 532/550,approx 11.2 to 1 compression,hooker competition headers,factory dual exhaust(21/2" or 3" w/flowmasters will be used as soon as I can afford it). So...any tips? Do You guys think I should go lower on the jets which i dont really think should be too much or should I try a power valve plug since the engine does not make that much vaccum in the low R's.Can anyone think of any other possibilities?
Thanks in advance...Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech

Put in a 2.5 power valve and go to 68 jets. First make sure the throttle blades aren't open too far at idle.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

What type of ignition are you running.I had a problem like that one time with an HEI dist.Ran fine on a stock engine built a 10.1 350 with good heads and a 292 comp cam. It did exactly what your symptom is,wouldn't rev past 5000 rpm with out breaking up.A buddy of mine suggested to try his Mallory dist and pro coil.Cured it right up.Just a thought...

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

Oger is right on the money.. Try his recommendations first and you should be in much better shape. I would also suggest that you verify how much vacuum you are pulling at idle and cruise and then choose your power valve based on those figures. Do not ever plug power valves in your carburetor as this could cause serious engine damage.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

The ignition is a bone stock HEI for now(probably most of the problem).Im gonna try what oger suggested so that i will be able to cruise it a little until I can get an MSD ignition.
Thanks....Dan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech

There is nothing wrong with an HEI for normal driving if you run the engine over 5000 rpm change the pickup and coil.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 02:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

First set your float level, then hook up a vacuum gauge with a long hose and go for a drive. Once you see what readings you pull on average, you can choose a power valve. Anything else is just guessing. Your jetting shouldn't be that far off that it carbons up like that. I also has a power valve that was loose in a new DP, causing the same problem. Also, check fuel pressure. If it's over 8 pounds, you'll push gas past the needle seat.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4:10
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

I put in the 2.5 power valve ,#68 jets and also put in some 110 octane fuel(should have done that after the jet and power valve change),drove a couple miles down the road and back and the plugs look fine now. Do You think the old gas(93 octane)could have had any thing to do with the problem I was having? As high as gas prices are that 93 Otane gas I was running could have been sitting for a good while.I cant think of any reason the octane rating would cause the plugs to foul like they did.
Thanks for all the replies....Dan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Oger,when You said to change the pick-up in the distributor were you actually thinking the ignition module? If not what is wrong with the pick-up in the hei and what kind should I replace it with?
Thanks in advance...Dan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

Id pitch the HEI as as soon as you funds are right,If an HEI was so great like Oder said MSD and Mallory would be out of business!!!!

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech

Id pitch the HEI as as soon as you funds are right,If an HEI was so great like Oder said MSD and Mallory would be out of business!!!!

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech

I doubt that the HEI has anything to do with it other than maybe the module I run mine over 6000 rpm with no problems.
I think the comp. you have with iron heads is pretty high for 93 octane.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

I guess im being a little harsh on the old HEI,and a little misunderstood too.Most HEI distributors out there are have alot of running time on them thus are weak.When you go from 8.5 to 1 to 10.5 to 1 they will show their weak spots.So why spend money for picup coils modules bushings coil cap and rotors when you can buy a new MSD for less than a rebuild? A Carb can cause a rich condition,but a weak ignition can too. Enough said!!!!

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode