Can a wheel bearing make a rattle in park? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 03, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

Guys,
Whenever I drive my car it makes a knock/rattle/vibration that's feels like it's hitting against the floorboard. It does it more when I'm turning and even more when I'm going slow? It never really does it when I'm just cruising along going straight but will do it when I'm just sitting at a stop light idling. It'll do it when I'm in reverse, park, neurtal or a forward gear(TH350). Does that sound like anything to anyone or can someone give me a little troubleshoot list? Exhaust, U-joint, wheel bearings, tranny mount, rear-end...etc???
The only thing that doesn't add up with any of that stuff being the noise maker is that any given thing would either make the noise while in gear or in park or moving or sitting but not BOTH (unless it's exhaust(which is brand new).
Thanks,
Donnie

68 Camaro - 540 HP AFR 412 CI, TH350 full manual, 3500 stall, 3.36 yukon gears/axles, 8.2" eaton posi, 17 inch Intro's. Jet black. Hotchkis sways, 3 in drop leafs/springs/bilsteins, G MOD, C5/4th gen brakes. 11.89 @ 119//2.01 60 ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 03, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech

Here are some of the more common rattlers. Shift cable, speedo cable, emergency brake cable, fuel or break line that has popped out of its clamp, header or exhaust.

Take a rubber hammer to the underside and start rapping on the subframe and floorboards to see if you can duplicate the rattle.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 03, 06:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'd look for an exhaust pipe vibrating on the floor pan somewhere. Start in the back and over the rear axle. Sometimes the muffler is too close to the floor also...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 03, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Sitting still your wheel bearing should not make noise. I agree with the exhaust theory. I bet it is very close at some point and when you load the engine (turning,etc..) it can vibrate more. That's why you wouldn't hear it while cruising along. A u-joint wouldn't make noise while sitting still or in park (the drive shaft won't be turning).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 03, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Angry

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was thinking it had to be something in the exhaust I just haven't had a chance to get under there and look around yet...
Thanks again,
Donnie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 03, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech

If you have Headers you may wanna Check to see if they are Possibly hitting the shifter linkage when the Car is running at Idle, Very Common Problem with headers ( wish they Came Pre- Dingged )
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 03, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

DjD is probably right. I have mufflers installed that the guys spot welds busted loose on. The muffler dont have slots to allow the clamps to clamp the mufflers to pipe so it's a half muffler half pipe clamping. Pretty lousy install job I guess. Hangers and clamps like to make noise especially on bumps.
Just grab the adjustable, sockets and wrenchs and go for a slow crawl and at least know what it isn't.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 03, 01:52 AM
a67

A trick I learned at a muffer shop is to grab the tail pipe(s) and shake it. This will often show where an exhaust is rattling.

Bob.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 03, 02:53 AM

I have used Bob's trick. Shake the exhaust at the exhaust tip and it should hit if it is going to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode