Will I ever drive this car !! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I posted a problem with noise from my gear drive not just whine but it sounds like every sound the engine makes is being reverbed through the timing chain cover. Help !! O.K. so I decided to trash the gear drive and I purchaced a Comp high tech double roller. the guy at the speed shop and my buddies said just take off the gear drive components and the brass bushing or spacer behind cam gear and just slap on new gears and chain. Well when installing the top cam gear it barely clears the block and the chain will no way go on it hits right against the block. I noticed that on the block by top of gear the block sticks out (hump)right there where one of the three holes are in the front. Holes have screw in plugs.Another sunny fall day perfect for a cruise and my ride just sits again. HELP !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 01:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Did they machine the block down for the gear drive or a torrington thrust bearing?

Are you installing the top gear backwards??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

There are no signs that the block has been milled around the cam. I am going to check with the speed shop that did the work to make sure. I also made sure that I had the alignment mark on the gear facing out. On the back of the cam gear it has a recessed area that fits around the cam which sets it in that much further. I have never had this problem before. Do you have any idea why all the noise from the gear drive. If the idler pin makes contact with the block and the cover can that cause excessive noise other than the whine. I thank you for responding PDQUICK. Tony

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 02, 03:56 PM
Bill

James,
This is normal with a lot of the newer blocks. The double roller chains will hit on the block right at the top of the middle oil galley. All you have to do it take a die grinder and grind away the block until it clears. It does not take much. Just did one at the shop Saturday morning. I dont know when GM changed the block castings, but almost everyone we have seen lately needs to be "massaged" You can do it with the engine together if you are careful. Have someone hold a shop vac nozzle right up to the carbide bit while you are grinding. Nothing earthshattering...just part of engine building.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bill, thank you very much this info makes me feel alot better, I have invested a good amount of money on this engine against my wife's wishes. She doesnt get turned on by a 69 SS camaro like I do. And if this car cant at least go pick up some milk and bread I am going to have to move in with you. I was told today that all the extra noise the gear drive was making may be because of the solid cam and it tranfering the mechanical sound through the idler pin which rides against the timing chain cover and my not have had this extra noise with a hydraulic cam. Does this sound correct to you or just more B.S. anyway the gear drive gets pulled out this weekend. do you think I should use the brass spacer that was behind the gear drive or is it better to just let the double roller cam gear to just bump against the block.The gear seems to have oil grooves cut in it on the block side? When I grind the block I will use masking tape to cover any and all exposed openings so no metal will get into anything. All I have is a dremal tool with a grinding stone or stone for my drill motor do you think either will work? Do i remove the threaded in pipe type plug? And can I grind down to far? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode