Temperature?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

I have a 89 camaro with a 350 motor. It tends to run at a temperature of 220F. Thing is I put a 160F thermostate in and a new radiator and hoses. I thought it would run much cooler, which it does for a while, but it eventually reaches temperatures of 220. What temperatures should a 89 camaro with a 350 motor run at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

220 is too high, you might want to get the guage tested to see if it is accurate. Are there any other signs of overheating? Does it smell hot, does it fill your antifreeze overflow up when you shut if off? Any obvious signs of a leak or smoke? Does your electric fan come on at any point and lower the temp at all? Sounds like you have an inaccurate guage, or a serious overheating problem.

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech

You changed the thermostat, but your fans are still being turned on well over 200 degrees. I am not sure what method the 89 uses, but you will either have to "chip" the ECM or change the temp sender to a lower setting.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 05:06 PM
David Pozzi

Mark's right,
There is a temp sender that tells the computer what temp the engine is and there is a fan SWITCH that looks the same but activates the fan relay.

If you have the HD cooling with dual fans, I believe the ac triggers the other one.

The engine may cool down on the freeway as the air is being rammed throught the radiator at that speed.

If your engine runs too cool, it won't go into closed loop. It might affect the lockup torque converter too.

Clean the bugs out of your radiator fins too. I blast it with from the engine side with water then air then water to get them out.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

havoc,
also if you put a OEM style therm in they are very restrictive, get a hi flow one! they make a world of differance, my blazer went from runing around 180 to 210 to running a steady 170 with a 180 therm, i know it help's! also if you run the A/C expect about a 10 deg jump in temp no matter what cept if you are going down the free way.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 01-23-2001).]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. They all helped out a lot. What I think I'm gonna do is get a dynonastic test to see what temp this thing actually runs at. It might be the gauge now that I think of it. There was one time the needle didn't even moved and then jumped up and down. Another time it gave a real high reading of 260 and the car was still running fine. (Thanks John) I'll letcha guys know what was up with it. I'll definately keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks again.
Havoc
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 10:05 AM

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidpozzi:
Mark's right,
There is a temp sender that tells the computer what temp the engine is and there is a fan SWITCH that looks the same but activates the fan relay.

If you have the HD cooling with dual fans, I believe the ac triggers the other one.

The engine may cool down on the freeway as the air is being rammed throught the radiator at that speed.

If your engine runs too cool, it won't go into closed loop. It might affect the lockup torque converter too.

Clean the bugs out of your radiator fins too. I blast it with from the engine side with water then air then water to get them out.
David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Help!!!!!
I have an 87 IROC Z28 that runs about the same temp.
(200 to 240)
Can you give me a step by step on how adjust
when my fans come on or can you tell me whare
I cane ket this cooling kit I have heard about?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 01:42 PM
Tech Team

Talking

chriscollard, just go to jegs.com or summit.com, they, have switches, relays, fans and ecu's for those electric fan setups

'79 poncho ws6 with '86 305 h.o.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:31 PM

every one that i know with a camaro like that with a stock motor runs any where from 200 to 220 good luck they just run hot
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:49 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Talking

I have an 88 IROC (5.7 liter /350 4speed auto w/air) and it too runs hot (200-220 degrees). No over flow in the bucket. Every month or so I and some coolant (yea, here is it going?) Some times itís a little hard to startÖ Looks like Iím headed for troubleÖ
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 05:54 PM

my car used to do that to but i have my fan so it stays on all of the time but one thing that will really help is if you flush out your system and put new anitifreez in it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 11:03 PM

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havoc:
It will run at 220 when you are at idle but when going down the road it will fall down to what temp you thermostate is. YOU HAVE TO GET A COOL FAN SENSOR BEFORE IT WILL STAY AT THAT TEMPERATURE&gt;HYPERTECH OR JET SHOULD HAVE ONE&gt;TRUST ME I KNOW!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 03, 11:28 AM

A dealer mechanic I talked with said:the TPI 350 is designed to run at a higher temperature,with a 195 thermostat an upper temperature of 225 is normal operating temperature.Is this bs or what?225 seems awful high.Anybody know the real,official,final word on this?Thanks.Oh,and what is up with dual cooling fans kicking on one at a time?The mech said something like:it has to do with the AC and whether it is on or off.Seems like it'd be better to have both at once.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 03, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

I know third gens are notorious for running hot. I believe it is due to the design of the front end. Air flow through the radiator isn't very efficient and has a tendancy to recirculate. I suspect later models have similar issues. A friend of mine has battled over-heating for years. He installed an aluminum radiator which helped a lot. But still, idling in rush hour traffic and the A/C must be shut off to prevent and over-heat.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 03, 08:01 PM
David Pozzi

The third gen's all run hotter, they are designed to run that hot.
I had an 85 Z/28 and an 89 IROC and both had 195 thermostat and the fan comes on around 220 degrees.
I changed my thermostat and it still ran 220 when driving slow, as you depend on the electric fan then.
If you cool the engine down more by changing the electric fan switch to a lower temp one, then the heater won't work right in the winter.
All the TPI engines are very sensitive to intake temps, dump some ice on it and it will run faster.

There is a throttle body water line for heat that could be plugged or switched by a remote valve. that way you could turn it on when you are in cold weather.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode