Wet Plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Question

Anybody out there in Chevy land who could tell me why the 2,4,6,8, cylinders on my 350 are wet? Can't get it started and seems like the firing isn't right.The order is right but possibly not getting proper fire. Any suggestion's would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 04:51 PM
SSuperman

Question

Oil, gas, antifreez???????????
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

I believe it's oil <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSuperman:
Oil, gas, antifreez???????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

IF its oil on the plugs I would run a compression test. Is this a new motor or one with many miles on it? Some specs on your motor and ignition and other stuff would help also.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Its an older casting #3970010, 441 cyl.heads I put the heads on, edelbrock performer rpm intake edel.600 carb HEI distribitor with Accel supercoil on top. It probally does have high miles on it. What would bad compression read? And what is normal vaccum on a 350? Thanks

[/B][/QUOTE]

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Question

Why would only the 2,4,6,8,side be infected with this wetness? Could it be the fuel mix isn't right?But still I can not get it started!!! I'm stumped!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

By the way,the 441 heads are redone had them machined and 202 160 stainless valves put in,I am thinking my block is worn!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 12:26 PM

It's weird to be only on one side.....how long ago was the heads done? Dod you get new guides done also?

What is the compression on each cylinders? Do they vary on each side?

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Holley 750DP, RPM intake,MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

If you compression test you should get readings above 120 psi and all cylinders should be within 10-15% of each other. Normal vacuum on a stock 350 while cranking should be 8-12 inchs I beleave and 16-22 inchs while running. Vacuum will read at lower numbers on a motor with high miles or with performance camshaft.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 04:51 PM
Tech Team

you say the heads are redone dont want to this is not to dis you in any way you didnt accidentily reuse the old head gasket or maybe put a steel on on upside down or silicone to seal it or not retorgue heads after it warmed up it seems fishy to me that one whole side is bad something other then mileage seems to be common here did the heads get angle milled an the intake side angle not correct now when you do comp test take one plug out at a time have a friend crank it over put your hand down to plug hole see if you can fill compression from other cylinder seeing as it will have compression still with its plug in this could tell you if you have leak between these cyl.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I put on new fel-pro head gaskets and double checked that they were on right,no silicone was used and I did re torque the heads after warm up? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bruce ulrich:
you say the heads are redone dont want to this is not to dis you in any way you didnt accidentily reuse the old head gasket or maybe put a steel on on upside down or silicone to seal it or not retorgue heads after it warmed up it seems fishy to me that one whole side is bad something other then mileage seems to be common here did the heads get angle milled an the intake side angle not correct now when you do comp test take one plug out at a time have a friend crank it over put your hand down to plug hole see if you can fill compression from other cylinder seeing as it will have compression still with its plug in this could tell you if you have leak between these cyl. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

67hoch, is it possible that the machine shop left off the valve stem seals on one head?? Even though the heads are redone, there may still be a lot of clearance between the valve and guide and your engine is pulling oil past the guides. Just a thought.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I put the heads together myself,they were bare upon return from machine shop. Thank's for your thaught I appreciate it.Still searching for answers!!!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 01, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Lightbulb

Bad or missing intake gasket???
Overtorqued on 1357 side or improper sequential tightening??
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Never thought of that,I will check and let you know what comes out of it! Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode