after market roller rockers - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

has any one ever had this problem..i am using camel hump heads.proform 1.5 roller rockers,press in studs,hydrolic cam & lifters...when i try to adjust to zero lash as instructed some rockers are sitting on the boss, which is suppose to have 40,000 clearance. when i think i have one set right and turn the crank, they may be too loose..are my push rods too short or what...they are stock rods...any help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 04:18 PM
Bill

I have not seen the ProForm rockers, but if your stock ones were working ok, they should also work. I suspect that you are not correctly adjusting the valves. Go over to the Team Chevelle site and find the tech reference area. There is a very good article on adjusting valves there.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for replying, i did a rebuild and changed heads on my motor but used the old 882 heads push rods,was told that would be o.k. where do i find the team chevelle site
thanks kevin

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 05:08 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Bill - help me here, I think I have heard that rollers and press in studs can be a problem... Maybe I have something confused... I do know when you put screw in studs you have to machine the boss' to account for the base of the stud.. That's not gonna help you though...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

You probabily have a cam with a short base circle you will need to use longer pushrods.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

some full roller rocker's need a longer stud, that is whay ARP make's a stud for roller's and one for non-roller's. also as menioned the cam has a part in this.

but i do know that the new style head's(vortec) press in stud's do work with full roller rocker's. i wounder if there is a diferance in them from the old style? i am thinking stud leangth and stud bolt height.

oh well i am thinking out loud but it is an idea......

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-07-2001).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 07:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I was just watchin a movie with the family and right as it ended I remembered what I was thinking of... Roller rocker studs are flat on top so the set screws in the poly-locks can seat properly. Regular studs have a dimple in the end of them and rollers may not stay adjusted...

The stud is kind of a pivot post for the rocker and doesn't provide a stop for it. Longer studs wouldn't help. If the rocker is hitting the boss the pushrod is too short or as BillK brought up mis-adjusted rockers.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for there replys, i'm thinking longer push rods, just have to get a push rod length checker....73 rs, 350 4spd,4:11, been in my garage in pieces for allmost 5 years now, can't wait to get it running again...bills come first... thanks again everone
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 01, 02:16 PM
Bill

You should not need longer pushrods unless the cam that you purchased is a small base circle cam, which is really pretty rare on most cams. It is possible that those particular rockers are machined in such a way that they have a problem, but I know of at least 2 motors running around at this poin in time with Comp Cams ALuminum Roller Rockers on stock studs with no problems whatsoever. As far as the roller rocker studs having a flat top, that is a very recent development by Comp Cams to try and make thier studs better. All of the other brands of screw in studs are just as bad on top as the stock studs. This has never been a problem in my opinion.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode