Hard start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Arrow

Ok, I know that this topic has been gone over a million times but I can't help thinking that my question is "my car" specific. Here goes, my Camaro starts easily when cold and runs like a charm, but when I start it when it is hot it barely chugs and then starts. I have a Powermaster mini starter with 1000 volt Diehard Gold trying to do the duty. Now I know that sometimes hot air gets trapped in the intake (vapor lock) and blah, blah blah. We all know about that. Well my question is this--could timing play a part in this and what can I do to fix it?

PS. Here is some added useful information--
1. The engine is overcarbed-I have a Holley 800 CFM with VS on a 350. (But jetted down).
2. My machine shop came up with this calculation that says I should time my car to 24 degrees advanced. That sounded crazy to me but the car runs well after being started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 12:25 PM

Get your initial back down to about 12 deg, then change the advances to compensate for the differences. Then give your mechanic the finger for not knowing better, even after you asked for help. Ray
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well I called the machine shop and they said that they computed the 24 degrees advanced so that I could time it without the vacuum plugged, making the timing down to around 12 if I would plug the vacuum. I think I should have never taken any part of my car to this shop. What do you all think?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

I agree with RA about the initial timing..If you want more total advance, you can experiment with different springs in the distributor
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This may seem elementary but I have HEI (Accel to be exact) ignition. So how do I adjust the timing there?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

If you have never done this before, get an assistance... You will need a timing light if you don't have one ... Timing light connects to battery and clamps to #1 spark plug wire...Warm engine and check/set idle speed...Disconnect and plug vacuum line from carb to distributor...There is a bolt/clamp at base of dist...this is the dist hold-down...You will need to loosen that bolt to be able to rotate the dist...On the front of engine/driver side is a degree tab next to harmonic balancer. Numbers on the tab represents the degree of timing...shining the timing light here ( timing light is a strobe light ) will illuminate a degree marker on the balancer. Slowly rotate distributor clockwise/counter clockwise to retard or advance timing as necessary...tighten down hold-down bolt and reconnect vacuum line... Hope this isn't overkill...trying to be thorough
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 01, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks sdtsdt for the thorough instruction on how to time a car. I do know how to time it, I was just thrown off by having the vacuum line plugged. I just always put some locking pinchers on it instead of putting a bolt or screw in the end opposite the distributor. Checks and balances my friend, checks and balances. Thanks, Justin

------------------
73' Camaro with 94' LT1 and 400 Turbo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 01, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Watch out gadzooks...Believe it or not, I have more to say ( lol ) . Seriously, one last question. When the car is hot, have you ever tried to jump it directly at the starter to see if that make a difference. If so, you may need either bigger battery cables or you might try the ford solenoid trick.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My battery cables are 4 gauge that I run from a trunk mounted battery. There is a small chance that it could be shorting out but I doubt it. You know before I put my Camaro together I did a 69 Mustang. I had all sorts of electrical problems (some dealing with the solenoid). But I am interested in this solenoid solution--tell me more. Also what are the benefits of using a second solenoid?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Go to the appended address and view the section for remmote solenoids...

I am having a problem creating this as link.
http://links.chevelles.net/links/WorkShop/General_Info/
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 12:39 PM

Try this. Disconnect the ignition when the engine is hot. If the engine now cranks easily, the ignition is the culprit. If the engine still cranks hard, the starting circuit is the culprit, and this includes all of the components in the circuit, including the grounds. Does one wire get hotter than the other? If so, the problem is in that wire, or that side of the circuit. You will likely need larger wires since the length is excessive. Let know the results of these tests and we'll go from there. Ray
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 12:37 AM

someone else was having same problem recently they said that the final cure was o/o gauge battery cable they also were hard starting with trunk mounted battery maybe worth a shot it worked for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode