White smoke out my exaust - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have a 69 Camaro with a Chevy 350 small block. The block is a mild build up with the stock heads. I have owned this car for 6 months. I had a problem with the engin getting to hot (I thought). It was running at about 205 deg. After I shut the engin off, I would come back to my car (at least 1/2 hour later) and see antifreeze on the ground. I thought it was a cooling problem and put a hi flow thermosat in it (160 deg) and the correct radiator shroud. This worked for a couple of weeks. I also had oil leaking (just the residue) out of my #7 cylinder. My Header at this spot was loose so I tighted the bolts and no more leaking (I perviously had a light white smoke coming out of this spot). Last week, I smelled something burning and could see white smoke coming out of my exaust pipe. It is the same pipe as where I had the leak before (#7 Cylinder). I am burning oil (about 1 quart in 350 miles) and connot keep the radiator more then 1/2 full with out it spilling out when the motor is stopped (it will also overflow when the car is running with the level at approximatly 1.5" below the top of the radiator, below this level it only overflows when the engin is off). The smoke out my exaust pipe is white, and is much more noticable at slow speeds (idle). I also get a white puff of smoke when at idel I hit the gas. I pulled the #7 plug and it had light tan depsits all over the plug (electrode and metel arm). The Electrode was in good shape with no gapping or damage. It did have on one side what looked like smothing had been dripping on it ( heavyer depost on the one side, I do not know wich side with requards to the engin). My oil is nice and brown (no milky residue) and my anitfreeze is very green ( no brown stuff in it). I know I am not getting any water in my oil or vic a versa.

I am thinking it is ether the head gasket, head, or a piston ring. I have replaced a head before, but am by no means an expert. Is there something I can check before I tear the top end of my motor apart to see just what exactly is wrong? The overflow of the radiator and the oil useage are leading me to belive it is a head gasket. Any help would be greatly appreshated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
David

white smoke, sounds like a headgasket. you can have the cooling system pressure tested to see if it holds pressure, if you have no external leaks, but the system loses pressure, probably a headgasket.

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 01:52 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Lets hope that it is a head gasket,since you owned the car only 6months,if its a cracked block or head,major $$$.has this been since you owned the car or just recently ?
and as for checking;with the car cool,remove the rad.cap,fill rad.,run the motor with out rad.cap,keeping it filled, look to see if your getting bubbles in rad.
p.s. reread your post... and yes sounds like a head gasket only.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 08-06-2000).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I check my radiator with then engin running when cool, and no bubble. I thought White smoke was oil, Blueish gray was antifreeze.

------------------

69 SS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 02:07 PM
David Pozzi

White = water or coolant.
Blue = oil
Black = fuel

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech

White = water or coolant.
Blue = oil
Black = fuel
Lots of Sparks = too much nos, not enough fuel
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 10:11 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
let it run till warm and check, this is with out rad.cap ! i can not express this enough, DO NOT TAKE CAP OFF WHEN HOT .

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I opened my radiator cap hot once when I was first learning how to drive. I had old fathful gussing out of my radiator.

thanks for you help on the smoke colors. Just for curousity, just how much exaust gas do you need for a spark plug in your exaust tail pipe to light this gas up? I have seen a few set up like this at the cruse ins, but there motors were way out of tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode