BREAKING UP - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hI Driving my camaro the other night, the car was running great. Then with no warning started running real bad. The car feels like it is missing.
With even pedal pressure the car breaks up real bad, but if I pump the pedal the car will run but not strong. I started by replacing my plugs,cap,gas filter, rotor, filled the gas tank and checking the timing. I am runnning a 302 with Msd 6al, pytronics mag. pick up, 780 holly.

ANY Suggestions welcome thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech

How did the plugs look? Look closely at the insulators for chips, cracks, or bubbles that might indicate detionation. Also, the plug readings could indicate a problem with the cam, such as a wiped lobe. But this is the bad news, I hope your situation is better. Plug readings are the first step though.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the reply dnult The plugs where alittle black but not wet. They all looked pretty consistent in appearance. Could a valve train problem / cam lobe happen with no warning? The car was running very good and strong. My first thought was the car was out of gas, similar feel.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

check your fuel pressure,remove the fuel line at the carb then put your thumb over it and have a friend crank the motor (keep a can handy for overflow)if the gas doesn't push your thumb off the line suspect a dirty filter first(cheapest)then a bad fuel pump or blockage in the tank.compressed air through the line to the tank(before the fuel pump)can confirm the latter.if all checks out look in the carb after you **** the engine off and see if gas is puddling on the butterflies,if so remove the needle and seat assembly and clean with compressed air.if that doesnt do it suspect the coil or ignition wiring.
good luck!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

oh and no smoking when testing fuel system components!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks sleeper I am going to buy an inline fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure. What is the PSI i'm looking for? One more thing..... been running the timing at 12* for two years. After the problem I changed the timing to 4* and the breaking up almost cleared up, but the car does not run as strong
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 03, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Sounds like a bad fuel pump to me.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 03, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

A plugged fuel filter can create the same problems you described. It can happen all of a sudden , when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode