It didn't help...what now - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Angry

No matter what I did I couldn't get my valve train on my 350 to stop clattering. As a last resort I removed all lifters, disassembled them and cleaned them thoroughly, reinstalled, adjusted all, prelubed the motor and started it. Same noise. Lifters are correct, pushrods and rockers (comp cams roller tip) are correct. All parts are new. Everything is oiling properly. Only change to parts is that I now have poly loks installed. Same sound as with standard locking nuts. Nothing is hitting the valve covers. The valve train noise is not excessively loud but is not correct for a hydraulic lifter motor. I'm out of ideas and patience. Should I live with this or what. Can't believe all 16 new lifters are defective. Any ideas???

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 06:17 AM
Tech Team

Hello John, To start with, what heads are you using? Are the roller tips the 1.52 or the 1.6? The reason I am asking this is that on some heads, when using a 1.6 rocker, the pushrod may be rubbing the slot or hole in the head where the pushrod goes into the valley area. If they are, they may hang slightly(more resistance against movment) and hence the sound you hear. Also, I hope you put all 16 lifters on the exact lobe you removed them from. If a lifter has run at all(even 30 seconds)on a cam, they must return to the same lobe. Anyway John, Look at that and maybe the cause. It would be extremly rare all fifters would be bad as you said, and even if the cam was bad or rounding off, all 16 lobes would not be culprits. My thoughts at least for now. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 07:32 AM

And, if the stem heights weren't set properly, a different rocker ratio may need different pushrod lengths if the stems are not right, or the retainers aren't a specific design.

Take a rocker off and look at it, the slot, for interference with the stud, for the rocker hitting the side of the retainer, and the pushrods, as Galen said, for interference with the stock hole or guide plate in the head.

Also if the rocker studs weren't put in deep enough, the rocker can go right down to the wrench flat on the stud, bottom against that flat, and stop taking slack out of the valve train.

Much to check there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Galen, Thanks for the reply. I'm using 1968, 041 heads that have not been resurfaced. They have been rebuilt with all new components. The rockers are the 1.52's. Push rods are clearing the slots ok. When I replaced the lifters I made sure they went back in the same holes.Engine runs fine at all rpms. I have gone through the break-in period and have been meticulous? with everything I have done and checked. My next move will be to replace the poly-locs (as I have to anyway to clear the valve cover drippers)with standard nuts and adjust the rockers with the motor running. My initial adjustment was 1 turn down from 0 lash. This placed the lifter plunger right in the middle of it's travel. All lifters were adjusted on the base of the cam lobes. I'm almost thinking of going back to stock rockers then new lifters. Man...this is killing my brain!!!

John
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 00, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

LOOK OUT IT'S AN IN SIDE CURVE, DUCK QUICK,

Well mabe not, any way are you running a regular old mechanical fuel pump?

If you are, use a wooden dowel,cut off broom handle, or a long screw driver, place it on the fuel pump engine running, and then put it against your ear. If you here the ticking noise move to different places until you determine the place it is the loudest.

A weak spring in the fuel pump plunger can sound like lifter noise.

Just a thought.
Larry
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 00, 08:43 AM
Tech Team

That is a good one Larry. Even I have had that one happen to me about 10 years ago. On my 67 Camaro street car had a 350 and 4sp in those days, the spring on the pump was broken. I changed lifters,rockers, and eventualy bought a new cam/lifter/timing set. During that instalation I saw the pump spring. I felt like an idiot, but the new cam did run way better, so it was a trade off I guess then. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 00, 05:00 PM
David Pozzi

Make shure you don't have oil galley restrictors in your block, and the valve springs aren't too stiff for a hyd cam.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 00, 05:40 PM

Hey this might sound stupid but it sounds like you just rebuilt the engine. Are you sure you didn't leave something in one of the cylenders that is tapping against the head and the piston like a ping pong ball. it's happened before.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 00, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech

Hey John,

Just a thought, what about the plugs in the front of the block behind the cam gear? If one or they are out you will get some oil to the upper end but not eongh pressure to pump up the lifters.

Larry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 04:12 PM

Exclamation

just a thought i have a 87 iroc w/a 305 for a while i thought mine was doing the same thing that u r descibing but come to find out all that it was is spark rattle from running low grade gas and the timing was out a few degres now im running a little over 100 octane and reajusted the time on it and it runs better now than it did but like i said just a thought good luck iroc
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Still checking things out. It's not the fuel pump and the oil pressure to the top end is good. Last night I measured the length of the rocker studs and compared them to a set of old 882's I had laying around. The studs on my 041's are 1/8th of an inch longer than the 882's and no they have not pulled out of the head. This might explain why I can bottom out the adjusting nuts and poly locs (when I tried them)without adjusting out the noise. To test this theory I am going to place a 3/8 flat washer on top of the rocker ball and readjust the valves while running. Hope this works. I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks again for all your input. There are so many things that can cause these types of noises that one person can't always think of them all. Good Luck to me.

John Els
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode