Hot start problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my '88 305 TPI starting after its warmed up. When the engine is cold after sitting for at least 4 hours it starts fine. After its warmed up though it cranks and cranks before it fires then when it does there seems to be a strong smell of fuel and a cloud of smoke. I've had suggestions of leaky fuel injectors or possibly the fuel pump. Has anybody else seen or heard of this and could offer any suggestions. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 05:52 PM
David Pozzi

Maybe the temp switch is telling the computer the engine is still cold. It would flood the engine when warm. Does holding the throttle open when warm help?
Just a guess.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Holding the throttle doesn't seem to help a whole lot but where is this tempature switch you mentioneded located. Would a cold start valve cause this? Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 00, 07:19 PM

I would think that the problem is with the temp switch also. It could be telling the ecm that you have a cold start condition when you don't. This would richen the engine up to compensate. You have one sensor on the front of the intake manifold, below the throttle body(this is colant temp). There is also one located on the bottom of the upper plenum(this is air temp). You can find your ald connector under the drivers side dash. Cross over the a and b terminals to check for codes. Go to www.thirdgen.org to find complete instructions on this !!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 00, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kwaherei, the only code I get is for the EGR. I have one on the way but its unlikely that this would be my problem right? Thanks for the other info I'll start rooting around as soon as I get a chance.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 06:48 AM
Chad

Re: Hot start problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Kishalowich View Post
I'm having problems with my '88 305 TPI starting after its warmed up. When the engine is cold after sitting for at least 4 hours it starts fine. After its warmed up though it cranks and cranks before it fires then when it does there seems to be a strong smell of fuel and a cloud of smoke. I've had suggestions of leaky fuel injectors or possibly the fuel pump. Has anybody else seen or heard of this and could offer any suggestions. Thanks alot.

I have the same problem on my 85 Iroc Z with the 5.0 TPI. It will sometimes blow smoke on startup when cold but when it gets warm and i start it then it has an extended crank. If I let off the key and give it gas for a second it will fire up, Rev up to 2500 rpm and blow smoke. Idle will come down quickly and then it runs ok again. I also have a constant overheating problem after a while of driving in city (fine on hwy) and have replaced the Radiator cap and thermostat. Upper and lower hoses have been replaced in the last 5 years and i have new ones just in case. The fan seem to come on at about 240 degrees (only 1 fan there) just not sure if this is normal operation. Sorry i'm not hijacking this thread just looking to see if other people have or had the same problems?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
It will sometimes blow smoke on startup when cold but when it gets warm
Worn valve guides.
Quote:
I also have a constant overheating problem after a while of driving in city
Usually caused by a raditor system and lower water hose has not had regular maintiance and/or high miles and cores getting blocked up...if a flush doesnt fix, then headers removed and manual clean.

And back to the starter .....again , if not the temp sensor, and assuming the starters are orginal, seen milage,,,,,
the solenoid copper contact turned over or replaced
Re build the starter, new bearings/ bushes/ brushes.
Clean up all the battery ign and starter moter connections...also checking where the wires go into the lugs on the end.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 08:35 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Worn valve guides.
Usually caused by a raditor system and lower water hose has not had regular maintiance and/or high miles and cores getting blocked up...if a flush doesnt fix, then headers removed and manual clean.

And back to the starter .....again , if not the temp sensor, and assuming the starters are orginal, seen milage,,,,,
the solenoid copper contact turned over or replaced
Re build the starter, new bearings/ bushes/ brushes.
Clean up all the battery ign and starter moter connections...also checking where the wires go into the lugs on the end.
Thank you I will look into that
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

We digree here for a moment.
If u pull the spark plugs, marking with a felt pen the top side in the head 1st
Dark. black on top.....valve guides
Dark/ black on the bottom, rings.
Valveguides drip oil into the cycinders, when stopped, fire up, big puff smoke (if baddly worn) on fire up.
Rings basically smoke all the time.
On stock heads valve guides generally start to show about 90K to 120K miles.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 11, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

after analzing your posts--you might be having an ignition modle going bad-85s module is in the dist-where the wires plug in--when i worked at the dealer, we had several come in with this problem--blue smoke=valve guides--black smoke= fuel i have literally done a 100 cars with valve seals on them--most of them less than 40k miles--no fun especially on waranty time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode