new clutch, won't go in gear - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 01, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I have a 89'IROC with a T5.I recently installed a new clutch, and have not been able to get the transmision to go into gear. THe slave cylinder, master cylinder pump,and entire assembly have been replaced. I have blead the **** out of it and it feels perfect,but still nothing. I think it is either the wrong size clutch disc or wrong size throwout bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 01, 07:47 PM
David Pozzi

I have seen new clutch discs with a bit too much fuzz on them cause this.
I hesitate to mention this becasue your newer type clutch is a little different than the older firstgen stuff I'm familliar with.

But, consider that the new disc has a wavy plate in it's middle called a "Marcel" and the new material may have a rough surface that is combining to require more travel to the throwout bearing than you have.
We managed to almost eliminate the freeplay of the 69 Z/28 we had trouble with and put the car in gear and started it with the clutch pressed down.
There was drag but it worked and allowed driving around town slowly and doing some starts with "extra" clutch slipping to wear off the fuzz on the disc.
If this works on your car, be very careful to allow time after a start to allow the clutch to cool off before slipping it again.
After a couple of half hour trips around the neighborhood we could put it in gear from a stop.
Be very careful if you try this as if this isn't the problem the car will not stop when you start it in gear.
I don't know if your year has an interlock to prevent starting this way...
You may consider drilling a half inch diameter hole just below the clutch disc to enable viewing the disc and see if it's disengaging at all.
If the disc was put in with the springs toward the engine you would have this problem too.
Make sure everything else is correct before trying this.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Is the clutch disc in backwards?The part that sticks out on it should go to the rear.I've never made this mistake-- yeah,right good luck!

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode