69 RS Steering Column Mounting Bolts - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 12, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Sean

69 RS Steering Column Mounting Bolts

Feeling stupid.....

Have a 69 RS. Trying to install an Ididit steering column with new AGR steering box and rag joint.

Seemed easy enough. Mounted steering box. Attached rag joint to steering box and column to rag joint. All fit great. Went to mount steering column using steering column mount...I'm at least a 1/2 inch short of the bolts going into the steering mount. Called AGR...nice guys and helped me measure steering box and rag joint - good. Called Ididit...nice guys, helped me measure column and make sure it didn't get compressed - good. Looked at available pics posted on team camaro and on the net - mounting bolts looked different.

Questions: My steering column dash mounting bolts are bolted in not welded in. Every pic I have referenced shows 69 camaro welded and firebird bolted. Can these mounting bolts be welded and bolted?

Looking at the pictures attached can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? The mount has a 1 inch adjustment to move the column forward and backwards and that tells me I'm over 1 1/2 inches off somewhere.
Appreciate any and all help.

Last edited by 69rsbuild; Jan 15th, 17 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 06:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 69 RS Steering Column Mounting Bolts

Just a WAG on my part here. Is it possible that the bracket on the column is backwards? (the one that attaches with 4 bolts to the column)

Jeff
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Sean

Tried mounting in both directions. Referencing all the pics I've seen the rounded edge of the mounting bracket faces the firewall. I was told the adjustable "silver" slots on mounting bracket should be with the "open" end facing the driver. Column mounted to the bracket with the key in the 5 o'clock position as Ididit instructed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vellu

Garage

Here is pic of mine. It's 69 standard coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Column Support Welded 1969.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	26544  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Fathom Green - Finland (Europe)

Last edited by -vellu; Jan 23rd, 12 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

I had similr issues yrs back...my 1sts posts here ion the same question.
But the std 69 column.
Turned out when the car was stolen, they had wacked the steering wheel to get to the locks with a sledgehammer, this collasped the nylon 'pin' in the streering column shortening the shaft several inches.
Find out the correct length of the shaft fr your column and compare with what u gave got.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

You may eventually run into this situation as well: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=201852&page=2

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 23rd, 12 at 02:42 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 12, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

You top bolts are bolted in. Most are welded.
67/68 columns is a different length than a 69 column.

Do you think some one replaced the pedal assembly to a 67/68 and that is why it is bolted in on the top.

I would think the inside brake bracket and assembly is the same in the 67/68/69 camaro.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 12, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Sean

Appreciate the emails. I don't believe the pedal assembly was changed. That being said, does anyone have an answer if the dash mounting bolts were both welded and bolted?

Would like to know an answer before "I make it fit". smile
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
You top bolts are bolted in. Most are welded.
67/68 columns is a different length than a 69 column.

Do you think some one replaced the pedal assembly to a 67/68 and that is why it is bolted in on the top.

I would think the inside brake bracket and assembly is the same in the 67/68/69 camaro.
Mike--you say "most are welded in"--do you know if some were not welded? Some were instead bolted?

That is the point of Sean's question--were some 69's bolted (from the factory) vice welded?

Otherwise, there is a (small) chance that someone welded in a Firebird firewall.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
Mike--you say "most are welded in"--do you know if some were not welded? Some were instead bolted?

That is the point of Sean's question--were some 69's bolted (from the factory) vice welded?

Otherwise, there is a (small) chance that someone welded in a Firebird firewall.
I know of none that were bolted in.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 12, 08:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Hope this helps, original.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 12, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Sean

Thanks Fred!!

The steering mount shown in your pic is exactly like mine and does mount to the new steering column with no problems. Are your pedal assembly bolts (two bolts coming down from the dash that attach to the steering column mount) bolted or welded? I have only seen pics of them welded. However, I have seen bolted ones for sale in catalogs. Any knowledge you could pass on would be extremely helpful...
To everyone...thanks again.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 12, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Sorry Sean. Didn't mean to ignore you. 99% sure they're welded. Getting under there for a week or so would be problematic right now.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 12, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
mark

look at the fourth picture down in this post ,it looks like yours and is a 1968. The fourth post down in your thread is a 1969 . It looks like you have a 1968 firewall .https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121480
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode