350 to 454 engine swap problems...help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I have a 69 Camaro I just purchased. It was factory equipped with the 350 and now has had a 454 dropped in. Problem...I found the "drivers" exaust manifold rather close if not touching the steering box. I was told the "engine frame mounts" would have to be for a 69 396/454 BB and could not use the "350 engine frame mounts". I was told the "350 engine frame mounts" would work but would cause vibrations (which I have around 60 MPH). I am in the process of verifying what type of frame mounts are installed at this time. Now...If the correct engine frame mounts are to be installed, this should move the engine to the passengers side an inch or so. However this will put the passengers side exaust manifold and valve cover into the A/C evaporator housing. I was told Classic Industries has a special evaporator core housing designed for BB motors which will allow for valve cover clearance, but what about exaust manifold clearance? OK...Am I leaving anything out. Can anyone shed some light on this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech

You will need different frame mounts indeed, check out David Pozzi's great website it has a wealth of info on it. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...aro_engine.htm
Be sure to check out the rest too. Further i would use the search option on this site, and you will find lots of info on the subject. I do believe that Big Block cars use a different heater core...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

To Dutch69camero: I appreciate the help. These forums are great and people like you who take the time to reply are the greatest. I checked out the site and found I had actually read that page before. I bookmarked it for future reference and will check into the site further....Marc

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

mid-life-camaro, when I purchased my Camaro, it had a 454 in it already with Hooker Comp headers that are massaged a bit right at the power steering box for clearance. Now, I don't have AC in my car its not an issue.

It seems that when they installed it, they moved is over towards the passanger side about 1". BUT, this cause another problem, when I went to a taller air cleaner element and a taller intake, my air cleaner was not in the center of the cowl "circle" so I had to ger an offset cleaner base to adjust the air cleaner assembly back to the center of the hood. This is a real pain to remove and reinstall, but dooable.

BTW, my car has BB motor mounts in it.
Keep this scenario in mind.
Mike

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 12-17-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode