Electrical System on 86 IROC: Need Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I'm having a little trouble with the electrical system on my 86 IROC (VIN H). Normally, the voltmeter on my instrument display reads between 12 and 14 volts, which is normal for that car. Lately, though, the meter has been falling to around 10 or 11 volts.

At first I thought it may be a bad battery connection, since I had a problem with that about a week ago, so I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals. It seemed to return to about 13-14 volts when I drove it, but later in the day it started falling off again to about 10-11.

Occasionally while it is low it'll return to normal (about 13) when I'm driving, but then fall back off gradually. I haven't noticed any dimming headlights or power loss, but I want to get this before it leaves me stranded somewhere.

My guess is alternator or voltage regulator, but the voltage regulator is built into the alternator, so I'm thinking of replacing the entire alternator, not a big deal, but I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything before I buy it. The belt for the alt is tight enough, I have a new belt I've been waiting to put on for a while, anyway.

Does my thinking sound correct? Sorry to waste time with something this small but I want to know if there's anything else that could be causing it.

Thanks.
Squirrels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech

First thing is to check all the ground connections. Just loosen and retighten the bolt connections. Might get a voltage gauge that plugs in the cigarette lighter and verifiy the voltage. Pretty handy anyway. Autozone and other parts stores will check the alternator for free. They can put a load on it and check voltage and amps.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 03:35 PM

I had this problem, turned out I had a bad ground connection between the instrument panel and the chassis, never had a problem since.

Hope this helps,
Peter

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 07:55 PM
David Pozzi

For shure check the connections and verify the voltage reading at the alternator bat lead and the battery terminals.
If your alternator has been on the car over 75000 miles, it's due to go. It usually is the brushes that wear out. But I've heard those alternators are really hard to dissasemble.
Mine went on my 92 blazer at 85000 miles.
Starter and water pump went bad around then too.
David

------------------
Check my web page for suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

OK...I replaced the alternator and the belt and checked both ground connections to the battery (cleaned them and tightened them). When i started it up it looked good, but as I was driving it, while I was stopped at an intersection, the voltmeter fell down to around 10 again and jumped back up. It did that once more as I was driving. It also seems like it doesn't want to get over 13, and falls when I put it in gear while I'm stopped.

I also noticed that when I turn on the ignition without starting the motor, if I try to operate my windows (power), I either get a moaning or a clicking from under the dash on the driver's side. This stops when I start the engine.

I don't know if this is a ground problem, if it IS, I don't know where to start looking for grounds. If someone could tell me the locations of ground connections that could be the culprit, I'd appreciate it. I am not sure where all the grounds are.

I installed a stereo into the car only a week or two ago, but I pulled that out and tried "jiggling" the wires, it didn't seem to have an effect. I'm out of ideas. It seems like the car is operable, but the voltage is nowhere near what it is supposed to be. Can someone help? I would really appreciate any advice on how to rectify this.

Thanks
Squirrels
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

One of the most important ground connections is on the back of the engine, passenger side head. If you have an automatic the trans dipstick has a bracket on a stud/bolt with a copper braid from the firewall and a couple other wires. These are main ground leads. Check this close. Don't know about under the dash, but it's a jungle under there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, it seems to be working fine now. I dunno, I checked the stereo wires and they seemed OK, plus I cleaned that ground under the dash, that may have been it. I'm not to worried, now, but I do appreciate your help, all of you.

Squirrels
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 05:28 PM
Tech Team

Cool

buy a new batterie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 12:19 AM
ekg

I dont know if you guys know this but you can return old batteries at kmart. In exchange you only pay 39$ for a new battery.

------------------
1984 Z28 Camaro V8 350 5.7L HO
- 600 cfm Edelbrock carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode