overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 99, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

1968 SS396 - when temps reach over 80 outside the engine starts to heat up -climbing over 190 with ease at a stop sign-cruising it stays @ 180. New waterpump-new radiator core - new thermostat - new fan belts. Not a radical motor - .030 over - all street worthy. New Dist. & timing @ 6. Any suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 99, 06:48 PM

Check where your total timing is at. If you have an adjustable light, check to see that your timing is somewhere close to 30 to 36 deg. @ 3000 rpm. 6 deg. initial sounds a bit late to me. It just might need a little advance. Also, make sure your vac. advance is working and that it is hooked up to manifold vac.

[This message has been edited by 68RS (edited 03-17-99).]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 99, 01:25 PM
Tech Team

I sounds like it's running at a perfect temp! If it gets over 210, I would worry about it, but 190 is nothing to worry about. And when cruising, if it drops to 180, no problem. My Chevy truck runs around 200 all the time with a 4 core radiator, but never overheats. I would just climb in her, and cruise and not worry about it, but keep an eye on the gauge.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 99, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks scooter but tou missed my drift. I wouldn't mind 180 - that's cool - I wouldn't mind 190 -that's cool too but when I stop at a light or get into stop & go traffic, I watch the gauge creep rather rapidy from that cool 180 past 190 up to 200 and it gives me no indication of stopping there. I'm wondering if I should resort to an electrically operated fan mounted on the outside of the rad to help cool the savage beast???
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 99, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like it's time for a new fan clutch. About 35 bucks. Might do wonders. tom
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 99, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Tried that too-when rad core ws replaced-so was the fan hub clutch. Thanks for the idea Tom.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 99, 06:13 AM

This may be an ignorant reply, but I had the same prob in my 69BB. I bought a new fan, and so on and so on and so on, but in the end I bought a new 160 degree thermostat and now it runs and idles at 180. If it is a hot day, however, It will creep up to 200 at a stop light.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 99, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 427 - I've given that some thought and may try it - also the timing sounds interesting.The problem has persisted for 3 years now. I know that big blocks tend to run hot but this is ridiculous.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 99, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 427 - I've given that some thought and may try it - also the timing sounds interesting.The problem has persisted for 3 years now. I know that big blocks tend to run hot but this is ridiculous.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 99, 08:29 PM

This may be to obvious, but I did not see it mentioned. Are you using a fan shroud? Is the fan tucked in far enough for it to be effective?

------------------
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 99, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Fan shroud in place - fan is approx. 1/2 way inside the shroud - just where they tell me it's supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode