Help It's getting HOT !!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have been experiencing a weird problem that has kind of got me stumped. I am overheating not at idle or cruising around town but only at speeds over 65-70 when the rpms are a constant 3000. It will also get hot after some 0 to 5000 rpm blasts but i kind of expect that. Around town it stays at an average of 190* on the highway with the rpms up around 3000 it jumps up to a nasty 220 and the longer I stay at that rmp the hotter it gets and it is only when I come to a slower speed will the temp come down. I have replaced the thermostat and gave it a complete flush and fill. Also I replaced the worn out radiator cap with a new 20lb cap. This problem has been progressively getting worse over time. I never used to have to worry about the temp no matter what I was doing it would always stay at a constant 190. Plese help . I can't even take it to the track any more because it over heats on the way up.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 3.55 eaton posi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 02, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech

I am assuming that anything over 3000rpms will do it too. And.......I am assuming that the jets are okay and you have read the plugs after a "hot trip" haven't you? to make sure it's not too lean! And...is it RPM related or speed related. If you go 3000 in first gear will it overheat? Or second?you get what I mean.

But, some things that comes to mind without knowing what you have on the radiator like a regular fan or electric fan with shroud or what? It's obvious that it's either air blockage at speed or the water pump is not circulating coolant.

Have you modified the front airdam or modified the front radiator area? If you have an electric fan with plastic enclosed shround, take the shround/fan off and try going down the road. This will eliminate an issue with either.

Have you a stock and tired water pump? Do you have air in the system? Could you be collapsing a lower hose at higher RPMs? Is this something that just started or was there intervention with some other change? Have you checked for a vacuum leak. This will make it run lean and hot!

These are all questions that need some answers for. let us know.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 09-05-2002).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 02, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Retarded ignition timing maybe?

-Mark.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 02, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech
John

Also need to know what kind of radiator you have and how old it is; most highway-speed cooling problems (on cars that are OK in town and have all the other parts in place) are due to deteriorated radiators that have gradually built up internal scale and corrosion and are losing their heat transfer capability.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 02, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech

I vote lower hose.

You said it was getting worse over time, that makes me think at on time this didnt happen. If no big changes have happened lately then I think its some item getting old and tired. Like a hose, pump or radiator.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

UPDATE...... Ok well i pulled the bottom radiator hose off and it was like mush!! IT had been touching the frame and it was worn almost through. When I was pulling the hose off the pump I noticed a ton of rust inside the pump so I pulled it off tonight. I need to get new gaskets for the new pump tomarrow and I will give u an update as to weather I have fixed the problem. As for the radiator there is some scale inside but it should be ok. For the most part the radiator looks good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 05:56 PM
David Pozzi

Have the radiator rodded out while you have things apart. It won't cost much and it will probably help a lot.
It's easy for crud in the system to plug the tubes. My daughters truck got hot and stirred up a lot of junk so bad the heater core plugged up! It was new, so I knew there was not a problem with the core except for junk in it. I flushed it with a garden hose connected directly to the core. I was lucky to not blow it up, but it worked.

On that vehicle, the radiator will probably have to be rodded out too. I'm hoping she will sell it before that.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 09-08-2002).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 07:27 PM

yup,,flush the rad,,block,,and if its a clutch fan,,,replace it,,my guess..
g'luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode