68 camaro gages - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Red face

I have a 68 327 auto with air and I,m having trouble with my gages when I took it apart all the bulbs were blown I replaced them and noticed that the plastic circut board had rust under it not much but enough to think that that might have been my problem, so I cleaned it and also the back of my gages, now lights still dont work and the fuel gage doesn't work anymore, my turn signals work but when one flashes the other goes dim, and when I put a test light on the back of the steel gages it lights up, please help the trial and error approch is to expensive to mess with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

is the center screw in the gauge panel tight, and if it is, is the ground strap there (behind the screw hole, attached to the panel) this is where your gauge panel is grounded. and make sure it has a good contact to the metal part of the dash. if the ground strap is not making contact, it will do as you describe. but, the test light lighting when you touch the metal part of the gauges is strange. i'm assuming you mean you ground one side, and when you touch the metal on the gauges it lights. is it brite? sounds like the gauges aren't properly grounded, and possibly the printed circuit has gone to ground, or in other words is touching, the metal on the gauges. if it was grounded well, and there is voltage applied to the metal, it should pop a fuse. just keep checking for bad spots in contact with metal on the printed circuit, and make sure the dash panel is properly grounded. if all you have is a test light (an ohm/volt meter would be better) put one end of the light to a known hot, then try touching the back of the gauges (metal part). it should light up if grounded. but first look into why there is voltage on the back of the gauges. hope this ramble made some sense. good luck, be patient, you'll get it

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode