Transmission Noise - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Question

As you can see in my sig I have an M20 in my '68. When I drive the car the shifter rattles back and forth almost constantly. The tranny seems to work, but with the motor running and the tranny in neutral it is VERY noisy, like a spinning rattle with a slight grinding sound. Unsettling to say the least! The tranny was rebuilt about 2 years ago but this sound didn't change and has always been there since I got the car 5 years ago.

BTW, do you know if there us a way to rebuild the Hurst Comp Plus shifter?

Thanks in advance ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech

Hi John,

The noise could be different things. Does the noise change when setting still and you push in the clutch. If it changes, or stops the noise it is in the tranny. If the noise don't stop then it could be in your engine, but most likely it will be the pilot bushing out.

If you have a noise in the first three gears and it gets quiter in fourth the input bearing in the tranny is rough, or going out.

It seems to me by your post the problem is there when setting still or I would be looking at other drive line stuff.

What engine is it because if it has always done this, what if it is a 400 engine with 350 flywheel, or the other way around.

There could be something in the accesories on the engine also, to check this remove all the belts and start it for a minute to check it.

My guess is the pilot bushing.
Larry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Hi John, I'm thinking on the lines that larry is, wanted to let you know that steve r had a muncie for sale at pleasanton when he was there. I don't know if he still has it or not but it came with everything from bellhousing to shifter. It was a killer deal. Probably cheaper than having yours rebuilt if it comes to that.
If you contact hurst they will rebuild any shifter you have made by them, any year. That grinding would drive me nuts.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Exclamation

You aren't kidding Stevo, that is killing me. I am really tired of answering the question, "What is wrong with your car!" when it is idling in neutral.
The motor has been changed since I got the car. The pilot bushing was replaced with the motor 2 years ago. The sound goes away when I push in the clutch. It is loud enough to hear it over the 2 chamber flows with 2 1/2 inch pipes! I have had the tranny in the shop twice, and neither shop has curred my ills here. Thanks for the tip on the Hurst shifter, I will call them and see about getting the shifter rebuilt.
Thanks for the reply's guys. I really appreciate it. ~ John
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wink

Hey john, I hate to ask you this, but after reading another muncie post, have you checked the fluid in your trans? Personally checked it?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Unhappy

I checked the fluid the other day and it is right at the level of the plug. I guess the old M20 just has problems. I am trying to save my pennys right now for a Tremec. I have a Hot Wheels collection and a set of heads to sell so we will see what happens. Thanks ~ John
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 11:40 PM
Senior Tech

Hey John,

If the noise stops when you clutch it, it is the tranny. It could be the needle bearings in the cluster, but I have never seen them go bad if both rows, and spacers are in both ends of the cluster gear are correct.

The most common prob with all std tranny's making noise is the input bearing. This bearing can be changed without dissambeling the trans. Just pull the tranny, remove the throw out bearing retainer, remove the snap ring, then the bearing.

Here is how to get the bearing off. Using two large screw drivers, pull the input shaft out about 1/4 inch, and put the screw drivers under the snap ring on the outter race of the bearing. You will need some kind of brass here, hold the brass on the end of the input shaft, and tap on it. You will have to reposition the screw drivers over, and over until the bearing is off.

Clean, and dry the bearing, give it a spin and you will hear that fimilar noise.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode