Electric Fuel pump with Carburator help! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 02:23 AM
rogleete

Just put a beefed up 350 into a friends 92 RS which had a 305 TBI. the 350 is carb. so we rigged the elec fuel pump to turn on with the ign. key and put a regulator on it at 5psi. everything was working fine, well first off we broke the rear end first day we test drove the new motor...got a new 12bolt back there all done yesterday, now the carb is messing up. its like the floats aren't filling up. when we make a turn it stalls out on us like the float is empty.. but i set the floats perfect...you can set them real easy with an elec fuel pump so it barely trickles out the hole. its almost like the fuel pump is going on and off or the regulator is trashed and its just trickeling gas out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

If I read this right, are you using the FI fuel pump? If so, it pumps 35 to 45 lbs. of presure, Way to much for a carb. What you may be having is (and this is an EWAG) a fuel pump problem with fuel backing up at the pump and NO return line for the excess fuel, or a fuel starvation problem. If you are using a fuel pump designed for a carb, the proper fuel pressure should be around 7 psi. THe float bowls may look good at idle, but come up a little empty when driven or accelerating. Just fuel for thought.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech

a TBI fuel pump only puts out about 15 psi, and i have heard of several people using a carb with a TBI pump with no problems.
as for the problem, did you check the simple stuff like the fuel filter? are you using any length of rubber hose? if yes, make sure it isn't pinched off somewhere. My Nova did this on it's maiden voyage with the 355, and it was just the length of hose from the frame to the fuel pump pinching off a little bit. i bent the hardline for a more gradual bend, and no probs over 2 summers. just look for simple stuff, and the problem will seem so obvious that when you find it , you will quote the great philosopher Homer- D'OH!!!

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode