EGR VALVE QUESTION - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I have an 89 camaro that I have not been able to drive for the past two weeks. I was driving and it suddenly went dead. I tried to crank it several times it would start and then go dead. We got it to crank and run but it had no power. I sprayed carb cleaner around the back passenger side. I thaught at first the TBI gasket. Changed it. Then Intake, changed it. I think the intake was part of the problem but now it idles a few seconds and goes dead. We spray the carb cleaner in the same spot as when we did for TBI and for the intake, which happens to be where the EGR is and it idles up. does this sound like EGR, and should I replace it or close the port off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

EGR doesn't really rob you of performance power. It can actually be a very good thing. Many people install a block-off plug under the EGR, but I don't really see the benefit for a street car. Also with emission laws and such, I'd say fix the leak and restore the EGR as it was.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

ok, at idle, the EGR stays closed. The map sensor is what senses engine load and sends the signal to the EGR control solenoid to open the valve. the valve is open under ported vaccum and allows exhaust back into the intake. if you sprayed carb cleaner around it and it idled up, then i'd either guess that your motor was running lean to begin with because of a bad EGR gasket or the rubber seal on the valve itself has a hole in it and the carb cleaner got through there and back into the motor and made it idle up. just a guess though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode