Is my TH350 transmission fried? kickdown problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

About 3 years ago I had my TH350 rebuilt and a shift kit installed. It's got maybe 5,000 miles on it since. After winding it out one day really hard, the tranny all of the sudden seemed to slip out of first gear at about the rpm it needed to shift into second. Now since then, anytime I have it in second, when I floor it and it tries to kick into passing gear, it just revs out and doesn't engage at all. When I quickly let off the gas, it slams back into gear. It seems like it may have a slight bit of slippage in second or third also (but it may just be me, haven't driven it hard at all since then). Absoltely no problems in first, takes off from a stop as hard as can be. I haven't tried it from 3rd to second kickdown to see if it does it then, but I asssume it would. Any ideas? It has seen a hard 5,000 miles, but I wouldn't think it would be fried from that.

Is this something that I would have to take to a shop, or is this something easily fixable? If this was just a linkage or cable adjustment that would be great, but I'm expecting the worst and thinking of swapping in a 4 speed stick if it needs pulled.

Also, are manual flywheels for 400 small blocks really pricey, and does anyone know where I can get an affordable one? I gave up on eBay, such a rip off these days.

thanks,

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I would say you've broke second gear outer sprag right behind the oil pump.

First gear is good, come up to shift into second, and Slip City!!

Remove oil pan and check for pieces of steel,
if the outer ring is OEM, then, chunks will be in the bottom of the pan. If aftermarket hardened steel, no chunks, but ring would be split.

A 4-spd will fit nicely, if th350 is short shaft, then driveshaft will not need shortened or lengthened.

I broke second gear in the th350 I had 5X in two years, I replaced with Powerglide and haven't had a problem.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It drives in second gear fine until I floor it to kick it into passing gear. One thing I forgot to mention is that if it is at a low enough RPM in second, when floored it will kick into passing gear just fine, but upwards of redline in first then it seems to slip. There is a point at which you have reached too high of an RPM in second for it to engage into passing gear.
WIth the addition of these symptoms, does the second gear sprag sound like a probability, or is has something with the kickdown just slipped out of adjustment, or possibly a band adjustment?

-Chuck

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 01, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Thank you for the other symtoms.

Running in second, then into passing (drop down into first), this is good, however, the faster in second, the less it will downshift.

If it will downshift manually, then I'd be looking at the govenor.

Slipping at the high end, this is not good. Sounds like the transmission is slipping, or not enough oil being supplied to the clutch pack to keep it compressed.

Second gear sprag is good, if you have movement. I would smell the operating temperature trans fluid, if it smells burnt, replace dipstick, close hood, bow your head, and say three Hail Mary's.

Compare oil on dipstick to clean ATF, on a white cloth, if black, close hood and say three Hail Mary's.

I would try and adjust the cable adjustment again. Go to the transmission shop and get a book on the th350, there are oil pressure taps on the side of the trans one can attach a pressure gauge, 0-200 psi, see what's happening. One of them is from the oil pump, another is for second gear, and I think, the last one is for third. This will tell you alot. Say if you're watching 2nd, d/shft to 1st, and starts to slip, if no oil pressure, then pump is bad, if pressure is there, burnt clutches.

Overall, it sounds like it may need a rebuild. Drop pan and see what's inside on the bottom of the pan, smell the oil on stick.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 11-29-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode