Linkage or tranny???? HELP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to smokin_tires_68
ok I have a 1968 Camaro RS I am 17 and I have had it for a year bought it in Kent. it has a nice strong 327 with a mild cam, Edelbrock 650cfm carb and soon to come a Edelbrock Victor junior series intake..just got it painted sunsetred mettalic looks great runs great....and now to the problem... I have an m-20 muncie 4-speed tranny. and it came with a comp. plus hurst shifter. finally about half way threw the year it locked up in a gear pretty sure it was third gear just locked up?? my uncle who is a good mechanic for a hobby but not pro told me my linkage and shifter was wear out so I bought a brand new comp. plus hurst shifter and linkage kit....put that in and when I drove it it was fine cept when I romped on it and threw it into second it wouldn't go it would like get stuck and grind this has been happening for quite some time then the shifter started to lock up again...so considering I just bought this in may and it is now august I doubt its the linkage maybe tranny syncros or something....please please please IM me or e-mail me if u know anything bec. I haven't been able to enjoy my [email protected]

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 08:46 PM

if you have been trying to force the shifter due to another problem, you may have damaged the new shifter.

does it shift when the car is off?
how is the clutch adjustment?
how is the fluid in the tranny?

usually if it is stuck in a gear, it is the shifter.
grinding usually is caused by bad synchros, clutch adjustment or worn pressure plate, or low, old nasty fluid.

often you can compensate for worn synchros by double clutching into the gear(s) which grind(s), or just shifting slowly. this can help you to diagnose it if it works.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech

When you get under there to check the linkage make sure you use the suggested size pin, drill bit, allen wrench or whatever to slide thru the shifter arms and gates to keep the shifter in the straight and centered neutral. Then make sure whith the trans linkage side still connected that every linkage you put back on the shifter goes on smooth like it's in the correct possition. No forcing allowed or it's out of tune. The line up device thru the shifter plates has to remain in all the way snug till finished.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

The fact that it would stick between 1st and 2nd when you are "in it" leads me think of some other things. That is assuming that you followed the instructions on the shifter to the letter. It could be that the clutch is not disengaging. You should be able to feel the friction point of the clutch when the pedal is about 1" to 1.25" from the floor. No less. Also make sure your trans mount and motor mounts are not worn out. By worn out I mean the rubber in between the steel is all squished out or not there at all. What can happen under hard acceleration is the motor & tranny combo can roll and cause the shifter to bind.

If all that is good to go then it may be time for a rebuild of that M-20. Just some thoughts on what to look for.

1969 RS/SS Hugger Orange. Merlin 509, Autogear M-22, 12 bolt 3.31 gears, suspension by GlobalWest and a nice straight roof. Got Button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode