Hot Starting..Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 01, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Hello everyone..as the owner of two 67's(An RS convertibel and a SS396) I really enjoy this site and all of the knowledgable people.
I need a little help diagnosing a ignition problem with my ski boat. It has a Chevy 350 in it with standard points ignition. It start intially and runs fine. Problem is once you shut it off when it is warm it will not start again. The engine cranks, there is fuel in the carb(I pulled the airhorn of the Edelbrock and checked) it appears that there is spark as indicated by my timing light on one of the spark plug wires. It just seems like it is not getting any spark. The engine is not flooded(pulled spark plug and checked for moisture). Dwell is at 30 degrees, timing is at about 9 degrees BTDC. Is it possible that a weak spark could cause this. problem? All of the ignition components have been change except the spark plug and coil wires(tomorrow) Any suggestions for diagnosing...Why would this only happen when the engine is hot? Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Take a length of wire and go from SOL terminal on starter and to * + * terminal on coil. This assumes a resistor or resisance wire is installed between ign switch and coil. A weak spark will hinder hot starting.

Also, is the coil labeled correctly? Some times a coil will be made/marked wrong ands it's a pain to start when hot.

Check cranking voltage as well as coil voltage during cranking, should have no less than 10.5 volts.

Ever thought about giving a half a shot of gas before starting?

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks for your reply. I will try the wire to coil trick. I am actually a bit puzzled by the coil. It has a label which say use with external resistor...yet I see no resistor. Could this contribute to the problem? Is this what you are talking about when you ask if the coil is labeled correctly? I have suirted gas directly into the throat of the carb...no luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Take a length of wire and go from SOL terminal on starter and to * + * terminal on coil. This assumes a resistor or resisance wire is installed between ign switch and coil. A weak spark will hinder hot starting.

Also, is the coil labeled correctly? Some times a coil will be made/marked wrong ands it's a pain to start when hot.

Check cranking voltage as well as coil voltage during cranking, should have no less than 10.5 volts.

Ever thought about giving a half a shot of gas before starting?

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

If there is no resistor or resistive wire, then the coil may be burnt internally due to 12V going to it at all times. As an engine heats up to operating temperature, it needs less primary voltage to run, hence, a resistor or resistive wire is inserted to lower the voltage, thereby, reducing the amount of current going through the point set and burning them up.

So, a swap out of coil may be needed,

Another place to look is point resistance, may have to take a file across points contacts to remove the carbon build-up. Usually want less than one ohm resistance across a set of closed points.

Ever think of changing to Petronix ignition?

Everett
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Found the problem...I checked the voltage coming to the coil, it was only 4 volts. I then checked the ignition switch. It turns out that one of the terminal connectors was loose and causing a bad connection. I suppose that this caused the wire to heat up under load and further increase the resistance to the point of not having enough juice.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode