68 door buzzer - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 00, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Question

Description: 68 w/ stock auto and V8. Whenever I open the driver's door on my 68, a buzzing noise comes from what looks like the horn relay mounted on the engine side of the radiator support, just below the voltage regulator. It buzzes regardless if a key is in the ignition or not. The buzzing quits when I turn the ignition switch on or close the door. If I remove the power from the relay, the circuit must break because I don't get any juice to the coil. If I remove a different wire so the buzzing stops, I blow the fuse that covers my turn signals when the ignition is on. The only thing I have done to the wiring is to put a new ignition switch and key lock in, and connect the neutral safety switch wires from a previous stock shifter. PLEASE HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Shayne, It is great to own an old classic, just think if was a 90s model the #[email protected]%&^ thing wouldn't run.

the buzz you here is the key in ignition warning, one of the first anti theft devices, seems people who leave the keys in the ignition would loose thier cars. don't know why????

Any ways to fix your problem pull the box that is buzzing off the car, this is the horn relay, if you are careful you can pull the cover off, by bending / straightening the metal tabs, inside you will find some coils and points, my guess is that the one of the point sets is stuck together, pry them apart and gentle file the contacts.
If the contacts are completely burnt you will have to get a new relay.
Make sure you clean the conections as well , sometimes they will rust and cause the same type of problems.

Let us know what you find.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I would say since it IS buzzing all the time, your relay is fine. Check to see if the switch in the ignition is stuck. I am not sure what you would call it, but it is what tells the buzzer relay the key is still in the ignition...

Good luck....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 00, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech

To the best of my knowledge, I didn't think 68 Camaros had key-in-ignition buzzers. I thought that this started in 69 when they put the locking steering columns with the ignition switch on the column.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 00, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Yes the 68 do have key in buzzer,it sounds like a sick cow but it is there.
Again it is the horn relay that does the buzzing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well, I replaced the horn relay and it is still buzzing, only a little louder now. That leaves the ignition switch, but I just replaced it about a month ago. Is there anybody out there who knows where to look in the ignition switch?
--Shayne
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 00, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Thanks for the info Rob. The buzzer in my 69 does sound like a sick cow (perfect description by the way), so I thought about replacing it. Good to know it came from the factory that way.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 00, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Shane it has been quite a while since I had a switch apart, I would start by pulling the lock tumblers out, insert a stiff wire (paper clip) into the hole and turn the key backwards past the ACC postion, once the tumbler is out look for some thing that is out of place, I think there is a small plastic tab that has somthing to do with the buzzer, is it bent out of shape, has the buzzer stopped now that you pulled the tumblers out? Thats about all i can help you with, also you might want to check the connections on the back of the switch, sometimes you can miss a spade completly, when you plug it on.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 00, 08:14 AM

Cool

Shayne, you said that if you close the door the buzzing stops. Try removing the pin switch in the driver's door jam. It should have two wires connected to it. One for the key buzzer and one for the dome light. By process of elimination, disconnect the wire for the buzzer and your problem should go away.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 01:59 AM

I have a new engine (front light) wiring harness, new horn relay, new ignition switch, new ignition tumbler---and my key alarm goes off without the key in the ignition also. For me it must be a problem in the dash wiring harness (it's a rat nest from different people adding/removing things). The wiring diagram isn't a huge help in this area, but it's a start.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

When I got my 68 convertible there were no courtesy lights under the dash or in the back of the console. As soon as I put the first bulb in, the buzzing started. Key in the ignition or out, it would buzz with the doors open. My problem turned out to be a shorted wire on the back of my ignition switch, but a short term fix might be to remove the dome light and the console light.

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 01, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

My suggestion is to go to the library and look up in the books for the wire harness schematics and follow the wires. The removal of the orange wire at the horn relay will stop the buzzing caused by Key-in-Igntion, and as was suggested earlier, a theft-deterrent for the owner of the keys, to remove them before locking the doors.

Another good suggestion given by Rob.Canada is to look at the ignition switch. Plastic tab may be worn out.

Everett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 01, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

It's the ignition switch or the wiring to either the igintion or the relay. Do you have a connector that fits on to your igintion switch or is it like mine and just terminals??? If this is wired wrong it will buzz. Even though the wiring diagram for the 68 show a orange wire... I didn't have it. I actually have a pink with a black stripe which controls the buzzer in the horn relay. This pink with a black stripe wire goes to the center terminal on the igintion. I would trace that pink with a black stripe wire down and verify that it is in the center of the igintion and on the relay it should be on the #4 terminal.

Good luck.

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 01, 01:37 AM

How do you tell which is #4 terminal?

------------------
Camaro - 1968 327 Coupe, 1986 Z-28 IROC Tuned-Port
Corvette - 1973 Mako Shark II replica, 1979 L-82, 1982 Cross-fire, 2001 Coupe
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 01, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

It should be written if it's OEM. If not then go to:

http://350ss.com/mycar.htm

and click on (comments) at top and then scroll down... there is a picute of a horn relay to match up to.

Good luck!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode