Aluminum V.S. Steel Cooling Difference - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Has any had experience with increaded engine temp AFTER switching to Aluminum heads. Used used to run a set of 2.02 double humps, but switched the Corvette "113" aluminums. Both sets of heads were very ported and polished and I understand that the steels are 64cc vs the 58 cc aluminums. Besides the increase in compression (10.2:1 with vette heads)can anyone make a guess on why I could cool one setup and not the other???? I would not think that one point of compression could make that much of a difference.

Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / Blown (As in Broke)
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 08:35 AM
Tech Team

Mark, I don't know why it would, but my aluminum headed motor prefers it hot, around 200 +/- 5, to run at "full output", so the added temperature may be helping, unless its over 215 consistently. Alum heads tend to dissipate head rather quickly so generally prefer to run warmer than you'd think.

Is it overheating?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It will run 215+ just idling at a red light. Hate to see a traffic jam. Was fine before I put the aluminum heads on. I have had these aluminum heads for about three years, ran them on a stock short block and they stayed around 190 with less radiator.

------------------
Mark
**How fast is just a matter of how much $$$ **

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 06:48 AM
Tech Team

Yeah, thats a freckle hot. these are obviously not those reverse flow deals right? ( I don;t know which are but double check).

I'm at a loss as to why. If you don;t have one in there yet, go to Autozone ( yes Autozone) and pick up a RobertShaw performance type theromostat , 180. Some claim this helps. And for $4.50 and a gasket its an easy fix.

------------------
Gene Chaas
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Funny thing you mention Autozone. That "RobertShaw" performance thermostat was the first thing I bought. The I removed the one core stock aluminum rad and installed a two 1" core Griffin rad. I also added a 16 lb cap. I just sent the "double humps" to the machine shop for guides and seals. Hopefully I will have them back this week and atleast be able to drive it again. Would love to run the Vette heads though. I pulls like a freight train!

------------------
Mark
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 04:02 PM
Bill

Mark,
We have used the Vette heads on a couple of motors and not had a problem. One of my machinists has them on a 406 in his Camaro, and does not have overheating problems. We just touched up a set for a customer with a Blown 355 in a street rod and as far as I know he has never had a problem with them ???? What head gaskets did you use ? There may be a problem there. Also, are you certain that your temp gauge is correct ? If you can find someone with an infrared temp gun, you should be able to scan the thermostat housing and see the true temperature. Also, I have seen defective thermostats !
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 08-16-2000).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bill,

I used the HP Fel Pro head gasket for Aluminum heads, I believe the number is #1010. They were the same number as when I ran these heads last year. I was not sure about gauge accuracy since both my stock guage and my Autometer senders are in the thermostat housing and both read different most of the time. The stock one reads the "nicest". I just replaced the stat with a new hi flow one. Did not change a thing. Its really weird, I have had heating problems before, but normally you can track it to human error. So far I have replaced the pump, rad, stat and went back to a flex fan and shroud! Runs cooler, but still too hot.

------------------
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode