Power steering problems!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 00, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I just recently replaced the motor in a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The power steering worked fine before the motor swap. When I first started the new motor, the hose on the return side of the power steering pump jumped off. I retightened the hose, filled reservoir again and drove the car about 2 miles, then the reservoir tank started pouring where it joins the pump! I went ahead and changed the pump and tank and filled the tank with fluid again, this time I drove the car about 5 miles, and then the top seal(just below the steering column connection) in the rack and pinion unit blew! Completely frustrated I went and got another rack and pinion unit and installed it today. I flushed the hoses/lines before hooking them back up to the new unit. Again I drove the car about 5 miles and the top seal in the rack and pinion unit blew! The unit has a sensor close to the top seal, but I dont think the sensor would have anything to do with pressure. It seems like there is too much pressure! Or could the fluid be getting too hot somehow and melting the seals? I cant figure this one out! Please, if anyone has seen anything like this, or knows what is causing the top seals in the rack and pinion to blow, respond to this post asap as this problem is getting expensive! The only thing from the original power steering system left on the car is the lines, I have changed everything else.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

P.S. The car is a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 2.8L v6 engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 00, 05:10 PM
David Pozzi

How did the steering work/sound before it blew the seal?
Are you shure you routed the serpentine belt the right direction? (pump going backward?)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 00, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Angry

The power steering was working fine before blowing the seal. The serpentine belt is routed according to diagram under hood. The pump is turning clockwise and seems to be working fine. I hand turned the pump before installing it and it shot a good stream out the high pressure side when turned clockwise so I believe the belt is routed correctly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 00, 06:58 AM

Is it possible you reversed the input/output lines and pressure is running backwards into the rack unit, blowing seal off?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 00, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question

No, it's not possible to reverse the lines due to the design of the fittings. I think I have solved the problem! The power steering pump has a pressure valve inside and I think this valve has stuck open allowing excessive pressure on the seals. Normally the valve closes around 1200 psi. I would just about guarantee that this is the problem, but I will have to remove the pump and check it before I know for sure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 00, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Question

No, it's not possible to reverse the lines due to the design of the fittings. I think I have solved the problem! The power steering pump has a pressure valve inside and I think this valve has stuck open allowing excessive pressure on the seals. Normally the valve closes around 1200 psi. I would just about guarantee that this is the problem, but I will have to remove the pump and check it before I know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode