TPS? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 04, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

does the throttle position sensor have to be electronically set for the car to idle correctly or not? its for an 89 camaro. the TPS is new but i just put it in and ajusted it some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Yes, TPS has to be manually adjusted for .480-.500 volts from the center terminal and one of the other terminals. You can adjust it with engine running or not, IGN on.

I found it made a good difference adjusting by ear to listen to the engine idle. Ended up with .550 volts. Full throttle position, engine off, key on, gave 4.80 volts.

Hope this helps.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks 4 the help. what is it i need to use to do this? or who can i go to and what will they charge?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

You can use a DMM (digital multimeter) and back probe the connector onto the TPS. Or, have a shop plug in their handheld machine into the ALDL connector under the dash and read the voltage setting directly from the data line to the ECM. Probably wouldn't cost much, most local shops have this capability.

After setting the TPS for the correct amount, disconnect the battery for a couple minutes to remove the trouble code for either setting it too low or too high.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

If that is a TPI motor, it's a good idea to start from the RPM adjustment first. I posted something in the engine archive (perhaps) on the procedure. It involves putting the EMC into diag mode, turning the key off and disconecting the IAC motor. This will put the IAC motor at known setting. Then the idle curb screw is adjusted to spec (it's in the manual - I'd hate to guess). Then reconnect the IAC motor and remove the ECM from diagnostic mode. Afterward you can do the TPS adjustment.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

oh ok. I was reading up on this a little and the book sugested using a voltmeter grounding the A & B terminals at the TPS and setting the voltage at that point with the ign in on position. is this the same thing your talking about with the DMM?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Yes
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by j-micc:
... grounding the A & B terminals at the TPS and setting the voltage at that point with the ign in on position. ....
I don't think you want to ground anything. I suspect you would connect your meter leads to the A& B terminals. Grounding any of those pins can damage the computer or the sensor.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Thank you dnult for verifying. Yes, one should measure across those two pins, not each pin to ground nor ground each pin.

Good thing there are others here to check and wake up others.......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

sorry didnt mean 2 use the word ground. I tried the proccedure with the DMM and it will not gie me a reading at the voltage part of the DMM. the manual says to to use the 20k ohms part of the meter. If this is so, what should be the reading at that end? or am i confused?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

If using the OHMS scale, you're trying to see if there are any open spots in the TPS while slowly rotating from idle to wide open throttle. This step is done with the ign key off.

Then, after finding no holes, as you've stated you 've replaced the TPS, place DMM to DC volts and probe the same terminals for voltage with ign key ON, and adjust accordingly. Tighten screws of TPS.

Follow Dave's instruction and set base idle, no ECM control, first, then, set TPS. Read the technical manual.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode