distributor wont drop in? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

alright i just put in a new manifold and pertronix conversion. everything is lined up correctly according to the marks i made but the distributor will not go all the way in. the motor has not been turned over, whats the deal.
thanks for any help, allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 06:29 PM
Tech Team

If you just crank the motor over twice (rotor turns once) it should drop in. For more info check the 20th post in:
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/004600.html

I wrote my method of how to install a distributer from scratch.

------------------
-ibjoe
now: '73 LT1; '79 Z28
then: '67 coupe; '88 IROC; '95 Z28
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 07:28 PM
Tech Team

Talking

thats the same problem i have been having, ill check that post too!

nate

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ok i read that and was preparing to crank the engine over but lo and behold the damn thing wont turn over. everything works on the car but the starter for some reason. is there some little secret i am missing here. the car ran before i took the dist. out! whats the deal now,it seems that for every one thing that goes right on this project 4 things go wrong. i cant take it anymore, i am going nuts!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Lance

The distributor is driven by the cam. The bottom of the distributor engages a keyway on the oil pump shaft to drive the oil pump. The distributor won't fully engage unless you align the oil pump shaft with the distributor shaft.

You can reach through the intake manifold with a long screw driver and turn the oil pump shaft. Place it where the distributor shaft will be when it is installed. Remember since the cam gear is helical the distributor gear will turn slightly as it is engaged.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Yes you are going nuts,I have been working on cars professionally for a long time and I've gone crazy.Welcome to the mental ward!....My advice,slow down,think about what you've done previously,to the car.Is the battery dead,have you checked voltage?If you think things out,and fully understand what you are doing it gets alot easier.I know how you are feeling,I remember the first engine I built(68 302!)had a hell of a time with the distributor.Made mistake after mistake,because I wanted sooo bad to hear it run.If I would have slowed down,I would of heard it run 2 hours earlier than I did.The best thing about all this,I've learned my lessons the hard way(I've screwed up just about everything)lived and learned.Now,this stuff is easy.It gets easier,you just need to sleep on it.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 01, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i am just going to let it go for a couple of days and ponder on all the advise i have gotten, the battery is new and everything else is getting power. my best guess now is that either the silanoid went out on the starter or the starter has a bad spot . i will figure it out later. but like the guy just said i want it to run so bad!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 08:33 AM

I know how you feel. I turned the engine over without the starter and dropped the distributor right in, using a breaker bar and 5/8 nut on the balancer bolt. Then my starter wouldn't crank. I don't know what happened, I was getting ONE click, then nothing.

After about an hour, I checked the connections on my starter, and the purple (inside on the solenoid) wire was loose. i tightened it, and bingo! My first motor came to life. Might want to look at those connections, they vibrate a lot and come loose often.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well everything is alright now! i turned the motor over by hand and the dist. popped right in and after a few more cranks i got the starter out of its dead spot. things are going well on the project once again. thanx for all the help fellows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode