Starting Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 00, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Cool

I just bought a used 85 camaro with a V6 2.8 engine and i have been having some troubles with it. I went out to start it the other day and it wouldn't start so i thought i the battery was dead, and so i jumped it and it ran fine for 3 days. Then yesterday morning i went to start it to go to school and i pulled out of the drive and it shut off and died so i pushed it back in the drive and came home from school and took the battery in and it was totally dead, 0 cold cranking amps so i bought a new one and put it in, and it still won't start. I tried to start it and after i tried with no success i lifted the hood and it started to smoke and i can't figure out what melted. It smells electrical and it came from the left side of the engine. Any ideas on why it won't start and why it smoked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 11:07 AM
David Pozzi

It's totally a guess,
I'll bet you had a short somewhere on the left side. And that drained the battery. When you put the new battery in, there was enough juice to melt the wires where it was shorted.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 02:48 PM
David Pozzi

If your starter is on the left side it could have been your starter that smoked. If it is on the left side, remove it and smell it, if it stinks, replace it. Check for damage to the wires while your'e down there.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 00, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Question

i checked it out and the starter and alternator are ok, so it isn't that but i think it is the ignition module? I am not sure if that is the part but after looking at in and then in my chilton's manual that is what I think it is. It has a wire to the distributor cap? would this be correct, and what would cause it to fry? and how hard is it to replace?
Thanks Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode