I have to pump my tpi to start it. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

i have a 88 350 tpi and when i need to crank it for the first time during the day i have to pump it to get it to crank. once it cranks it has no problem runnin but i thought fuel injected engines werent suppose to be pumped. could it be maybe a weak fuel relay or a weak fuel pump or a bad throttle sensor? please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 02:59 PM
Bill

Pony (?)
If you have to "pump" the throttle something else is wrong. There is no accelerator pump in a fuel injected motor so all you are doing is moving the throttle position sensor. There are a number of things that could be wrong, you really need a manual to diagnose the problem without wasting a lot of time and money.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 04:12 PM

Hey I am not sure if this is right but I think it could be the cold start injector. That shoots the gas in the engine only when you are cranking the engine up. I have a 1988 with a 305 tpi engine. I hope this helps but if it doesn't sorry I couldn't help.

------------------
michael gunnells

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech

you need to pump it before it will crank? or does it crank and not fire until you hit the gas? maybe the tps is out of adjustment or something.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech

I posted earlier but it looks like it never appeared.. Anyway, here is my response again:
My brother had an 85 Corvette with the same symptoms. Hard to start and had to pump the pedal while cranking to get it to fire. It turns out that there are two relays to the fuel pump. An initial relay that builds fuel pressure for about 3-5 seconds when you turn your key to the "run" position and then the other relay that runs the pump while the engine is running. We finally figured out that the initial pump relay was not working and replaced just that relay and then no more problems. You can test this theory by getting as close to the gas tank as possible and have someone cycle the key between the run and off position waiting about 5 seconds in each position. When the key hits the run position you should hear the pump briefly run and then stop. If you don't hear the pump run then you know what the problem is..
Good luck

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

the intial fuel relay is workin, i even replaced it with a new one just to make sure it wasnt weak, but it still has the same problems. i know this is part of the problem but what year did they start puttin chips in the keys, i also have an 89 rs and it has a chip, the car that were talkin about with the fuel prob is an 88 iroc. i think they started puttin them in there manditory in 89, can you help, because the 88 doesnt have a chip in the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode