Check Engine light keeps coming on. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Everytime I get in my 1986 Camaro Berlinetta after about 15-20 miles the engine light will come on. It does this everytime. Also I have added a few things to my car to improve performance. I have a 305 bbl engine. I put a new edelbroc RPM intake on it. I rebuilt the carb. I put a high performance chip in it. I put flowmasters on it which didn't improve the sound on it at all but did improve performance a little. but still the takeoff on it is just horrible. It has had a 2 second delay ever since I bought this car. When I bought the car it only had 40k and completely stock. What can I do to improve takeoff and that is affordable? Also what do you think the engine light could mean?

Thank You,
Jason Dibler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 02:43 PM

does the light stay on, or does it go off before you shut the car off, or is it on solid all the while? what do you mean by two second delay? frome take off[from idle to 1/4 throttle] or while 'killing' it? the more info you can give the easier it will be to figure out[ especially with out being there in 'living color']
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 01, 03:57 AM

probably a senser or something needs replaced , try and disconnect your battery wait 30 sec then connect this will erase your computer then it gets rebooted try it it might work , i just bought one of them engine decoder system hey they work , but you can reboot your com by disconnected your battery , might work c yah

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 01, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

I mean a 2 second delay from takeoff. Whenever I push the gas to the floor in a race the car will bog down for at least 2 seconds and then take off. I was just seeing if anyone had any tips about making takeoff any better. Also about the engine light it comes on after I drive about 15-20 miles and stays on until I turn the car off. Then comes back on again after about 15-20 miles again. I guess when I turn off the car it resets the computer until it finds the problem again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 01, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Also Thank You very much for your reply's.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 01, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech

9 times out of 10 in my experience it is either the EGR valve or the O2 sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode