vibration anyone? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to find the cause of a vibration in my 69Z. Can feel it in the clutch peddle mostly but also just riding in the car. (If your are payn attention). Gets worse at higher RPMs 3500 on up to 7000. (Not sure after that). Definately engine / drive line related. I don't know the history on the motor. Just got the car this summer. Runs strong and does not smoke or use oil. does not seem to be a "miss" or anything. I am going in after the bushing in the back of the crank right now, but not sure where to go if that is not the problem. I know the factory did a pretty fair job of balancing the 302s. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Welcome to the club!!!

Unfortunately, it could be anything from the harmonic balancer to the rear axle.

If you have it still apart to change the pilot bushing, I'd take the flywheel and clutch assembly and have it balanced. If the flywheel has been resurfaced, the balance characteristics have changed. Aftermarket clutches aren't the most well-balanced items either.

Before you assemble the clutch together, place the cover and disk on the flywheel and clamp it down. Notice the height of the diaphram where the throw-out bearing would sit, as on top of the fingers. If they aren't within 1/4 inch of all being the same height, get a new cover(pressure plate).

I'm sure before disassembly, you've taken and placed the car on four jack stands, two of the stands are on the rear axle tubes, so as to give the proper pinion angle and slack in the driveshaft, and placed the trans in first gear at idle and watched the driveshaft turn straight and true, if not, then U-joint replacement is in order.

Another thing you met do later or before tear down is to do a compression check of the motor to make sure the eight cylinders have the same compression. Usually, if one is low, it will vibrate the driveline.

I hope these well help some and gve food for thought, others here will have some good suggestions.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

I did something stupid a long time ago that I'll never forget. I rebuilt a 454, and put an internal balance flexplate on it from a 396. Shook like hell. Probably not the same issue, becasue all small blocks except the 400's are internally balanced and flywheels are interchangeable. Worth verifying though, an external balnce flywheel will have a big "weight" section cast into it on one side of the flywheel.

Sounds like some good ole' visual inspection is what you'll need to do, I hope it's nothing serious. One note on the balancing, if the motor was rebuilt and balanced, it was hopefully done so with this flywheel, they need to be done as a set.....

------------------
69 SS, Stroker 489, Tremec TKO, Tight Road Suspension

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I'll be looking at all these areas very closely.
This is an awsome place to get help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode