Weird oil comsumption problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I had a problem with my car when i drive long distances with it. I bought the car in Virgina and drove it back to FL on the way home it ate 4 or 5 quorts of oil with no visible leaks. I have had the car for about 6 mo with no problems but am getting ready to take another long trip in it and am afraid of the same thing happining. Where the heack did all that oil go. Around town it doesn't burn a drop or leak at all. I do regular oil changes and it always has teh same amout of oil as when i last filled it up. So what gives????

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

When you're cruising,the engine has high vacuum.I would guess the valve seals are leaking.Is there any blue smoke on first start up in the morning?

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 01:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I would also guess valve seals. On a downhill, coast for a bit then step on the gas and see if there is blue haze/smoke behind you from the oil being sucked into cylinder(s) during the high vacuum coasting. If it were rings, I'd think you would see it driving around.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You might replace your pcv valve also. A friend had this problem, using 2 quarts of oil on a 200 mile round-trip at steady high speed. On his it was the pcv valve. Didn't use any oil around town.

Jody
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

when you replace the PVC make sure theres a baffle under it. but it does sound like the valve seals are bad.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 03:16 PM
Tech Team

I've got this exact problem. 67 327/210 with 151,000 miles, took it on a 200 mile road trip on the interstate at a steady 70-75. I knew it would probably use some oil on the trip and had planned to change the oil when I got back so I put 6 quarts of oil in the trunk. I used 5 quarts in 200 miles!

It seems like a car using that much oil would smoke heavy all the time.

I've noticed a difference between my 327/210 No AIR and others in the oil tube cap. Mine is a breather type http://linkpro.net/camaro/images/engine/MVC-011F.JPG

Could the wrong cap cause oil problems?

I've got the old style screw in PCV valve so I haven't been able to replace it, but it still rattles when I shake it. Doesn't that mean it's ok? http://linkpro.net/camaro/images/engine/MVC-012F.JPG

Does anyone know of a source for these? They appear on Ebay from time to time, but since GM dropped the part is there a conversion kit to use the hose mounted type? When you look up the part number for a 67 327 2bbl at the parts store you get the number for an inexpensive hose connector type.

Thanks for any suggestions,

------------------
Damon Linkous
'67 Camaro Z21
http://www.linkpro.net/camaro
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

make sure where it plugs into the carb base or intake that the hole isn't plugged solid with oil crud. but for an engine of that year i'll bet its the valve seals.
don't know why but i really like the looks of a stock motor,kind of gets you excited!but i still like aluminum and crome too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 02:53 AM
Senior Tech

Would running a PCV valve and un-baffled valve covers cause a problem? My heads were re-built last August and my short block was just redone and it is smoking again. Large puff at start up and some when I let off the throttle on the street. Sounded like valve seals to me, but I used the Comp ones when I did the short block. Motor has less than 500 miles on it...

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I once forgot to install a plug in the block on the fuel pump boss. There are two threaded holes one above the other. One of them goes all the way through into the area by the fuel pump drive shaft. It would only leak when driving at steady speeds and would leak a lot more if you have removed the fuel pump push rod and are running an electric fuel pump. I never saw a single spot in the driveway. Just a weird one that I thought I would pass along.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 04:37 PM
Tech Team

I posted about the exact same problem a while back, you can check this post for more ideas:
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/003937.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode