89' Iroc problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Angry

I have an 89 iroc that used to get 14 to 18 miles to the gallon. It has a 350 w/ dynomax headers and flomaster exhaust. Not any emmisions on it whatsoever. After I did the exhaust it now only gets about 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. I timed it and it still gets crappy milege. It seams to be running really rich. And a watery substance is coming out of the tailpipe. Loss of power to. what sensor or what could be wrong to cuase this. Please help gas aint cheap and I must have performance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

when you replaced your exhaust, you didnt cut the O2 sensor off did you? and if NO, then make sure that it is close to the engine as possible. the O2 sensor measures Exhaust Gas temp, and tells the computer to adjust the mixture accordingly. If you nuked the O2 Sensor, then thats why your runnnig ritch and getting Extra Condensation out the back.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 05:54 PM
Tech Team

Yep, definitely check the O2 sensor. When you changed exhaust did you use a free flowing replacement? did you change the location of the sensor? You may have to move it closer to the manifolds to get the temp back up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

How do you check the O2 sensor? Where do you get these free flowing o2 sensors? I need to know before I take it out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

The O2 sensor measures the amount of unburnt mixture in the exhaust. It does this by chemical reaction. This reaction causes the sensor to produce a voltage up to 1.1 volts depending on the condition of the exhaust mixture.

The O2 sensor must reach a certain temperature before it can create this voltage correctly. Until this temp is reached, the engine operates in open loop. In open loop status, the fuel mixture is enriched.(works like a choke system)

The problem that most people run into with headers is the O2 sensor doesn't reach the proper operating temp due to the nature of headers. To cure this problem, you need to install a "heated" O2 sensor. Rather than having 1 wire, you will have 2 wires. This design will heat the sensor electrically allowing it to give a proper measurement.

Most of your mail order companies will sell heated O2 sensors.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options

www.geocities.com/akfourme/

[This message has been edited by cardude (edited 12-06-2000).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 06, 12:23 PM

Re: 89' Iroc problems

GM newer design O2's are 4 wire sensors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode