Front Turn Signals and Parking Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 02, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Getting her ready for inspection.

Front turn signals and parking lights don't work. The wiring harness coming out of the steering column has a purple and light blue wire. When testing them using a proper ground, both work properly.

Up front where the wire goes down to the turn signal, you have to turn the ground around to a power source and then ground out against the purple wire or the light blue wire with the and then they work fine.

I am an idiot when it comes to wiring. Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 02:03 AM
Senior Tech

inspection? whats that...

you have to get your car inspected??? here im MD you just show your title and say "give me tags" and bam! , no inspections on anything in the "historic" range (25+ years)

have you tried looking into the assembly manual? , (i have it on my site online)

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Chris - yep, just blinkers, lights and brakes on the 67 - on my 01Z28, inspection & emissions next year.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech

Try running a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to the metal on the outer part of one of the light sockets and see if they work. It sounds like you have a bad ground.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech

Try turning the socket a little in the lamp part, sometimes you may find the bad ground there, you can check if you have contnuity (sp)from socket to the lamp base with your ohm meter.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 02, 09:32 PM

emissions too, move from that state!

------------------
68' 350eng/350trans
88' BMW 735i
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sounds like you have the wrong bulb in the socket.

The bulb grounds through the socket and mounting bracket to the body of the car. The brown wire is the +12 Volts from the headlight switch and the purple wire is the +12Volt input from the flasher/blinker circuit. There is no ground wire on the front parking lights.

Do you have all your chassis grounding staps installed? There should be one from the firewall to each valve cover, and one directly from the fender to the negative battery terminal, as well as a couple from the front subframe to the firewall.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Hey Mark
I would agree a RS turn signal is grounded by the bracket in the valance, but there is also a ground wire.
On a 67 RS front turn signal there is a ground wire (white?)that is screwed into the inner fender with a hex head screw and serated washer that is about 3/4" from the penetration for the grommet. The ground wire doesn't go through the grommet or share the plastic connector.
On a 67 non-RS there is a black ground wire that gets screwed to the inner surface of the headlight bracket.

[This message has been edited by bonecrusher67conv (edited 04-26-2002).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 02, 11:09 AM

I had a problem with one of my turn signals where there was some corrosion between the bulb mounting (the part with the groove to hold the bulb in after pushing and turning)and the housing. I had variable resistance to ground. I gave it a gentle smack with a hammer and it started working again. i had to do a little filing to get the bulb to fit again, but filing is free.

------------------
Kent
67 SS 427
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 02, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I have the harness unplugged from the turn signal and parking light. Running a wire from under the dash to the parking light itself, it works. Checking the bulkhead connector right now.

Somebody put in a CodeAlarm system on it and it looks like a spagetti factory under the dash. Going to take some time to get it back to normal.

I love nuts and bolts, but I hate electrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode