Team Camaro Tech banner

q-jet carb. choke problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rob.Canada 
#1 ·
Now that the weather is somewhat colder here in Texas, my new-reman. q-jet carb. on my 69 Camaro may be acting up. The car takes a long time to start upon initial start-up. Once warmed up, it starts quickly and just fine. I recently purchased the carb. and did almost no adjustments. It seems to run fine, except for the starting problem.
Does this sound like a choke adjustment problem?
If so, any tips on what and how to adjust?

thanks,
mh

#2 ·
Hey MH
Adjusting the Q-Jet s quite simple,
When the engine is cold Pull the lid off the air filter, One depress of the accelator and the choke butterfly should snap shut, It should have some tension, If no tension there replace the choke coil on the intake manifold, under the little square box.

If there is good tension and the choke butterfly snaps shut, Check the vacumm pull off, This opens the choke butterfly just a small amount once the engine starts, Hook up a length of vacumm hose to the pull off, apply vacumm ( give it a good suck) The butterfly should open about 3/16 ". If it opens too far bend the rod to get the desired opening, if you suck on the hose and it is like pulling through a straw with no action then I would have to say the pull off is defective, replace it.

Once you have those two items set, then watch the high idle linkage to make sure it sets itself when the butterfly closes, there is an adjusting screw, on the right side (passenger), down low, set the idle speed to about 1500 - 2000 rpm on the high cam lobe.
Thats the choke set up.

Couple things also to check is the accelator pump, Look down into the carb (engine not running) Pump the acceleartor to wide open, Do you get a great big squirt or a little dribble, if its big then a ok

A little dribble could mean an overhaul or readjust the accelator pump linkage, befor doing any of that, pull the fuel filter, it should have a little check valve in the inlet end, this prevents the fuel from draining down. This little valve will have symptoms that you have to crank and crank and crank the engine befor it fires, a poorly adjusted choke the engine fires and dies.

Just for one other sugestion, if you started driving in the age of fuel injection, you have to depress the gas pedal a couple of times to set the choke on these old girls, quite different from fuel injection where you don't touch the gas at all.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope this is some help.
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.