Aluminum Heads leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I have AFR Aluminum Heads on a 68 small block stroked engine built by a professional engine shop. The engine only has 3000 miles on it and suddenly it seems that it is leaking a little oil and coolant over the number 7 cylinder. I took off the valve cover and did not see and coolant in there. As far as I can tell it is coming from the gasket right over the plug.
I was told that I would never have to re-torque the heads. Is this true? Should I torque them now to try to stop this?
What should I do differently for aluminum? Would a compression check tell me if the gasket has failed?

James K.
383 small block with AFR alum heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech

If you are sure that it's coming from within, and not blowing back from the dipstick or dripping down from the valve cover, and especially check the oil galley plug that is on that side of the block usually half blocked by the head, you can try to retorque.

But, I have seen this before and since there is not oil pressure per se in the heads, the oil is working its way down from the drain when it passes over the head/block junction at the rear of the head. Sometimes retorquing will suffice to remedy, however, if you jerk the intake, clean the exit with brake cleaner really good so that high temperature silcone will stick, then that's the remedy.

Of course you could pull the head and replace the gasket. I have only seen this problem with the special print-o-seals from Felpro. Is this what you have?

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

It has been awhile so I don't remember the type of gaskets we used. But it is not all oil leaking. I am seeing definite coolant as it gather around the last lower bolt on the heads. The oil just seems to be seeping from somewhere close by. I will retorque to spec and if that doesn't work try the manifold gasket. However, I know coolant would but would oil leak if the manifold gasket was failing? Thanks James

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HOTRODSRJ:
If you are sure that it's coming from within, and not blowing back from the dipstick or dripping down from the valve cover, and especially check the oil galley plug that is on that side of the block usually half blocked by the head, you can try to retorque.

But, I have seen this before and since there is not oil pressure per se in the heads, the oil is working its way down from the drain when it passes over the head/block junction at the rear of the head. Sometimes retorquing will suffice to remedy, however, if you jerk the intake, clean the exit with brake cleaner really good so that high temperature silcone will stick, then that's the remedy.

Of course you could pull the head and replace the gasket. I have only seen this problem with the special print-o-seals from Felpro. Is this what you have?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 01:01 PM
Team Member
John

Before you can fix it, first you need to find out where the fluid is coming from. Clean the area well with a rag, then sprinkle some talc or baby powder around the leak area; it will become obvious in short order exactly where it's coming from, then you'll know what you're dealing with.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

John Z....what a brilliant idea with the powder! I will use it.

The manifold gasket will leak both at the very rear, but not over the number 7 cylinder unless it's coming down the back of the head near the firewall and sneaking around the corner. John's suggestion is paramount in determining where the leak is coming from.

My bet is that the head gasket is in need of retorqing. It may work, then again may not. These things are fluky about these things and if it's caused by a surface imperfection you may have to pull the engine depending on what the imperfection it. Hopefully it's only a loosy goosy gasket.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode