timing - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 12, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

timing

I set my base timimg at idel at 8 degees. How do i set advance timing? my timing light has a dial on it to advance if that helps oh its a 79 z28 350 camaro

Last edited by Rebel72; Feb 26th, 12 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: timing

Can I get any info please
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

you should have specs for the dizzy serial number stamped on the side...and If not the orginal dizzy GM maintance specs for your car.
Basically u disconnect any Vaccuum advance
Check idle at given rpm speed advance,
The intermedate advance pionts which vary from dizzy spec to dizzy spec between 1000 and 2500 rpms and the final total spec. Many dizzy specs have 2 intermediate check pionts.
Then one checks that the VA is working in the correct Vaccuum range and the number degrees in it
To set timing corectly one knows the total and rpms spec, disconnects the VA takes the rpms up to just above and then sets the timing, when it drops back to idle it should be correct to the car spec.
If not the dizzy is faulty or it is the wrong dizzy or it has been screwed around with.

If u get the part number off the side of the dizzy I will see iff it is in my AC Delco service manual....this doesnt mean it will be the correct dizzy for your car thu... And id the engine has been modified in any way, or even been bored the timing specs will not be the most suitable forthe engine now....And I believe the petrol is different from back then to.

Dont be in an all out hurry for answers , some of us sleep... your 1st post was 6pm my time....I dont mess with computers once I knock off work, and the 2 nd post was 12 am in the morning....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Use the timing gun with the dial at zero unless you are measuring at higher rpm where the balancer mark is beyond the timing tab scale. In that case turn the dial until balancer mark goes back to zero (TDC) then read the number off the dial on the gun.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode