Battery drain - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I'm chasing a battery drain problem when the car sits - a 69 small block. When I measure the resistance across the disconnected battery terminals, I only get 6 ohms.Can some one tell me what a normal reading is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Disconnect red wire at alternator. Six ohms is a light bulb or motor, heater blower, or wiper, washer pump,etc.

There should not be current draw with evrything off. Try hooking up battery at night time, see a light?

I just thought----glovebox light if equipped.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 06:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you have a factory clock and/or a newer digital radio they are powered 24/7 and you will need to take them out of the loop before testing.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

No change after pulling fuses, disconnecting blower motor, etc. Is the voltage reg or horn relay supposed to be insulated from the radiator support?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Voltage regulator is mounred on rubber PALNUTS, but there is a ground strap from a bolt to the rad support.

Yes, clock and radio will drain also. Horn relay on firewall has a buss bar. One wire from battery to buss, the other wire goes into the firewall for rest of car.

Inside under dash drvr side, wire harness comes into cab, there is a crimp of two red (10 GA) wires One goes to firewall connection, one goes to light switch, and third goes to ignition switch from the crimp.

Dome light? Look behind the junction block by battery, (10 GA), I found rust between the back side of block and rad support.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

When I disconnected the red wire from the alternator, the resistance went to very high. I tested the alternator diodes/stator per the manual and it seems OK. But shouldn't I get a very high reading with the red wire hooked up? It seems like I have a grounding problem in the alternator windings.I'm frustrated.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

I check battery drains by pulling the neg.cable and connecting a test light between the neg. cable and batt.terminal.Someone here sugested a buzzer,instead of a light.Watch the light,if it's dim,you have a short to ground.Keep disconnecting things or pulling fuses till the light goes out.Make sure the key is off and the dome light is off,(or close the door).

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 05:19 PM

Lightbulb

Another way is to disconnect the neg and place a volt meter in series with the battery. neg to bat neg pos to neg lead to car. Now make sure key is off and doors are shut. The meter should read close to 0 volts. If it reads 12 dissconnect your alt and see how far it drops. It will go up if there is any type of drain. Start pulling fuses to isolate. I use a analog meter not a digital but it should work the same...

[This message has been edited by shadowjr (edited 05-03-2001).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 07:01 AM
Tech Team

Smile

The only way to effectively check for battery (parasitic) drain is to use an ammeter. Disconnect the battery positive and hook the ammeter up in series between the positive battery cable and the positive battery terminal. Make sure all accessories are off, the doors are closed, and the key is off & out of the ignition. Most ammeters will only handle a 10amp load until they blow. The Fluke meters will handle 20amps I believed, but they are also fused. The cheap $70 meters from Radio Shack are porbably not fused.
You should observe less that .050 on your meter (50 miliamps) - this will not kill the battery for 2-3 months. If you have more than that, start by pulling fuses until the drain goes away. When it goes away, start inspecting circuits and components protected by the suspect drain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 01, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Thanks to all. I know this isn't rocket science. I went the fuse route - no change. Since our beloved cars aren't totally fused, I started checked the alternator. I found the diodes are shot and am going to install a new one wire alternator.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode