88 Camero w/ big problems - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 00, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I have an 88 camero (350 automatic) and it seems like it has one problem after another! About a month after I recieved the car, it kept overheating...the fans wouldn't kick on like they were supposed to. So, after it died once, we fixed it, but had to unhook the computer. Then, it ran really well for about a month. After that, it started to idle "rough". We change the oil when we are supposed to, but after checking it, found no oil whatsoever, and no stain to be found anywhere. Now, the car will cough and sputter when I attemp to start it, and even backfire. Sometimes, it won't even start at all. When I do get the thing started, it idles fine for about 2 minutes, then dies. It dies everytime I slow down to go through town, hesitates and shakes when increasing speed, and is then fine after approaching 50 or 60 mph. I don't know anything about cars, I'm a 16 year old girl, so please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 00, 07:59 PM
Tech Team

take out your check book you probally have to have the engine rebuilt or get a new engine for it. if your going to get an engine get one at a chev dealership. i personally have had so many problems with buying rebuilt engines from parts stores. even though they are more expensive at the dealership they stand by there warrentys on the engine.

ill tell story friend bought a 454 installed the engine put oil in it oil leaked all over marshall engines said since you souped up the engine the warrenty is void and guess what the engine was never started.

i bought a engine from marshall and the head was cracked they told me the warrenty is void becuase there is no fan shroud on the car guess what the car never came with a fan shroud.

well thats why i rebuild the engines i have myself even though it takes longer becuase i have to work to.

your probally loseing oil through they rings on the pistons if your sure its not leaking. it just burns up when the engine fires. and it probally runs rough because of the same reason. or it could be a cracked head or head gasket
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 00, 11:18 PM
David Pozzi

You didn't mention what the oil pressure is when you are having the problem. There is an oil pressure switch that turns off the fuel pump if the engine should stop, say, when you have an accident. If you had an accident and the fuel line was damaged you'd have a fire.

So, if the oil pressure is too low the oil pressure switch will shut off the fuel. When you are running at speed the oil pressure is higher.
There must be other problems. If the engine lost all it's oil somehow. You need to find out where it is going. If it went past the rings or valves and got into the combustion chamber, the oil would leave a lot of soot and gunk on the spark plugs. Have the spark plugs taken out, keep them in order, so you know which cylinder each plug came from. Any deposits? It can get bad enough that the spark plug will not fire. If that happens, the computer will sense the oxygen in the misfiring cylinder, and richen the fuel mixture.

Oil can go into the cooling system if the oil cooler leaks. Does the radiator look oily inside?
Does the exhaust smoke when you start it up the first time of the day?
The catylitic converter will consume a lot of smoke when it gets warmed up, and disguise oil burning.
I'm concerned the engine may have been damaged by running out of oil, the oil pressue switch may have saved the engine from seezing.
Regards, David

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 00, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech

Shultz, you are probably not going to like what I have to say, but here goes; Unhooking the computer to fix the overheating problem did not "fix" it, it caused more problems. The "computer" monitors many things that the engine does; Engine temp,fuel mixture,load,speed and etc. Ask some of the Adults you trust to recommend a good repair shop and be prepared to spend some money, cause the car has been "tampered" with and will take some time to sort out. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 00, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Wink

Thanks! I really appreciate your help. I am going to take my car in, and not let my dad mess with it! Plus, I'm not going to run it until I take it in. After all, it is my baby, and I have to take good care of it.
Thanks again,
Schultz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode