Camaro Problems!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

look i have a 86 camaro and it has been sitting out in the yard for 5 months now it ran fine 5 months ago perfect,but now i went to crank it and thats all it does you can sit there and turn that key and it will turn over and over again. but no start sure i checked the spark best damn spark i ever seen so thats not the problem. now what we are dealing with is a 2.8 liter throttle body injection . obviously its a fuel problem i am going to check the fuel pump this weekend but could the computer/injectors be messed up after 5 months and what would youre solution to this enigma be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Could be that you pump and injectors are OK...but the gas just went bad.

Do you hear the pump kick on when you switch on the ignition? Don't crank the motor and you should be able to hear it....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

well somebody told me that my tbi injector could get stuck, he says that the y have a tendency to get stuck after discontinued use for a long period of time. also what line should i disconnect at the fuel tank to get a sample.......what color would the bad gas look like..orange right?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Sorry...can't help you there....I don't know.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

Just a quick check,you might want to take the top off of you air cleaner after cranking for a few seconds.Do you see or smell any gas in the bore of the TBI?This can at least let you know if you have ANY fuel at the TBI.This can at least rule out a few problems.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Bad gas is orange. I just dumped some from one of my cars that sat for 4 months. Nasty smell. I would do as the previous poster advised by removing the air cleaner and crank it over to see if the injectors are priming. Had a problem with my 84 Vette where the injectors quit working. After debugging for a week I found that my HEI module was burnt. Replaced the module and off it ran.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

Drop some fresh gas down the TBI just like the old days when you ran out of gas, if you have good spark it will run for a few seconds
Hold a shop towel under the injector as some one cranks the engine, if the injector and fuel delivery is working you will get gas on the towel. Good Luck.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Cool

ok here is a good one guys i went out there and i realized we are not dealing with tbi we are dealing with multi-port-fuel injection it is still a 2.8 though. well anyways i tested the fuel pump i think... what i did was i charged my battery plugged it in and had my friend turn the key.... nothing no noise emmitting from tank no slight vibration when he did again nothing! now the fuel pump has a fuse and a relay now for sure the fuse is not bad but the relay it could be now im sure you guys no that the plug that connects into the relay has about....5-6 wires letters a-e well one of those wires is not connected but does have a wire nut on it with a jumper wire going to the eletric fan (somebody obviously did not like the idea abou the computer controlling the fan!!!!) so i read the trusty haynes book and it says you could apply voltage to terminal g in the computer diagnostic terminal i did but nothin of course going through there defeats the purpose it has to go through the relay. but it said you could also plug a + and a - into terminals a and e on the relay plug to energize the pump but to no avail so i guess it is iminent right? i have a bad fuel pump....if i do i will still have to take the intake of and clean the injectors their clogged with old gas (varnish) .......oh yeah!!! you guys will like this i decided to check the gas tank and i stuck a clear plastic tube as far as i could shove it down suck on it and only got fumes yet the gauge reads full (the gauge is messed up!) so i added a 1/4 of a tank but nothing...finnally somebody tell me how the hell do i drain the fuel tank the pump pumps it up litterally you wouldnt be able to get it out please somebody tell me how to get it out before i drop the tank!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool

well nevermind the above!!!!
i got the intake off and exposed the fuel rail and other gadgets i had my friend turn the key to acc and we heard a vmmphhhhh noise from the rear sure enough tested the shrader valve and a suprising 39-40 psi spurt forth so i guess then there's only one question why wont it start!!! i have fuel in the tank and fuel in the lines .....i figure that i have no injection what do you guys think!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 05:58 PM

try to spray carb cleaner or feul into the main vacume port,check for codes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 01:43 PM

Had same problem twice in my 85 2.8MPI

First turn the key and test the fuel pump it will make a whirring noise if it works if it doesn't your fuel pump may be bad but before you get a new fuel pump by a Chilton's manuel for 82-92 camaros(sold at car stores and book stores $12) it helped me alot. I personally had a bad fuel pump circut and wirng harness . The book told me how to check the wiring step by step it was not that hard you sound like you could do it(pg 4-66 in the book). Your gas is probably bad.

I also had a bad HEI circuit but a way to test it and is to put the spark plug end of the ignition wire near the frame and see of their is a spark. Also do the same with the igniton coil wire to make sure it works too.

On another note how many miles does your car have? Mine has 120,000 exactly in my front yard with a blown engine. just curious how long these camaros last though mine was run hard.

The Chilton's book is very useful, will help you with almost anything on your car.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 07:14 PM
Tech Team

i had a 85 2.8 mpi camaro to and it had the same problem yours did. and i couldnt figure out what was wrong with it and it turned out the wiring harness was bad and the wire was broken in a few spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode