gas smell - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok... I need to fix the gas smell I get in my trunk from my fuel cell. I have an aluminum fuel cell with foam and sender. It has 2 holes in the top... one is plugged and the other is used as a vent.(AN fitting with braided steel line through the floor of the trunk to the underside of the car with an on and off switch at the end to keep from getting gas fumes in the garage when I am not using the car.) The other 2 holes are in the bottom.. one is plugged and the other is AN fitting with braided steel line going through the floor of the trunk to the fuel pump.
I notice a slight gas smell when I open the trunk.... I don't have any leaks. I just can't figure out why I have this smell. I want to relocate the battery to the trunk, but I don't want an explosion. Does anyone have any pics of their setup???? what about fumes in the trunk??? how should I be running this vent. I have been battling this for a year... I really need to get a solution. Please help.
Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 07:20 PM
David Pozzi

You need a valve that can be free flowing going into the tank, and yet hold up to seven pounds of gas fumes in.
Seven pounds is what I recall is the Reid vapor pressure. That's the pressure that gas fumes will make when put in a container. Above 7 lbs gas will not vaporize or produce more fumes.

The factory gas caps hold pressure like this. If the tank were overfilled, then the LIQUID gas would expand with more pressure than that so there needs to be a way to vent liquid fuel or your tank would burst, or the carb would be overpressured and soak the engine.

On my race car I just have an aircraft check valve, a flapper type. It has a light spring on it. That allows air in when running and no fuel out at all. I put it inside the tank cover so it's sitting in fuel when full.

I had a friend who had just a hose there, no valve and when he put a funnel in the fuel filler and poured fuel in, the fumes came pouring out of the vent!
A mechanic told him he didn't need a check valve in it. I had him stand there by the vent while I poured the fuel and he gagged!

This was on a LOLA coupe and the vent went into the engine compartment. One spark after fueling up and POOF! A $175K car would be toast. All because of a missing $20 check valve.
I had another case where I was racing a guy at a Laguna Seca vintage event. He had a vent hose running up high on his roll bar. When he accelerated hard, fuel would spray out of the vent. I was right behind him and got sprayed. It looked like oil smoke but it was fuel! Scary!

I'll check some of my catalogs and see if there is anything. You might also check with the fuel cell mfr.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode