Starter or Solenoid? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Starter or Solenoid?

Hi all
Have a 68 Camaro and most the time no issues with startups, but noticed recently when hitting the ignition the starter is not engaining the flywheel? I can here it throw but just spins as if if its not being pushed far enough to catch on the flywheel. Hit the key again and it fires right up. Is this the selenoid dying out or the starter it self?

Jimbo..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Re: Starter or Selenoid?

Could be the solenoid spring getting weak. Could also be the starter teeth not properly aligning while engaging into the flywheel teeth.
I would take a close look and see just how far or if the starter is properly engaging the flywheel. before you start buying replacement parts.
Solenoids are inexpensive.
Be safe.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

The starter has been in place for close to 20 years now and figure something was just wearing out. A solenoid is much cheaper than a new starter now a days. I will replace this first and see what happens.

Thanks for your input!

Jimbo..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The S terminal may not be getting enough power from the ign switch, it is also 20 years old.
If a remote starter switch test works locally, then could be start terminals of the ign switch need cleaning.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

If it becomes necessary, have that Delco starter rebuilt, if it is one. And put the starter brace back in.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Thanks for the valuable input. I actually just replaced the ignition swith due to a weird intermittent buzzing sound coming from under my hood. I thought I had a faulty ignition switch and come to find out it was a defective coil that decided to come apart internally. It would short out and kept firing when the igintion was turned to the on poistion making a buzzing sound like the key in the ignition buzzer in the horm relay. The weirdest thing.

I wish I kept my original delco unit, but being young and dumb tossed it in the dumpster. I have an old accel starter that has been very loyal for 20 years now. It it was their version of the original delco that they no longer make I ordered a acell high torque solenoid for $50 from Summit and will give it a whirl. What would be good way to test the solenoid with a multi meter to eneure it's getting the proper voltage? What are the correct ranges I should see?

I will though maybe get the remote starter switch to test it out prior to installation of the new solenoid just to be sure. I have a flat tappet cam and rollers that need adjusting every 3 to 6 months so it will come in handy after testing. I am 99.9% sure it not an alignment problem since both the flywheel and starter teeth look great.

Jimbo..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Could be the solenoid spring getting weak. Could also be the starter teeth not properly aligning while engaging into the flywheel teeth.
I would take a close look and see just how far or if the starter is properly engaging the flywheel. before you start buying replacement parts.
Solenoids are inexpensive.
Be safe.
Yes andalso noe that the flywheel teeth only wear in a small area, so turning 90 degress will fix.
Be careful with rebuilt starters, the armitures are not always checked on a growler machine, and solder joint continuity checked when cold...so after a few months one ends up with the 'heat sink' falicy effect even thu with a low intial timing.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Could be a failed starter drive. With a helper you can look - if the pinion engages the flywheel and the starter motor spins w/o cranking the engine, the drive has likely failed, unless the flywheel teeth are chewed up.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Re: Starter or Solenoid?

Agree rebuilds are suspect. If the solenoid does not fix it I will most likley go with a new starter. I do not want to dump money on an old accell unit when I can invest in a new unit with warranty more than 30 days.

The problem is intermitent and only happens once every 5 or so tries. Sounds as if its kicking out, but just not far enough to engagte the flywheel and spins. After it stops I hit the key again and starts right up.

I hope it's just the solenoid is aged (20 years old), but as always that is too easy! She likes to make me suffer a little before cooperating.

If I do need a new starter what is the hot tip on the site for most depenable? I see a lot talk about mini starters now due to header clearence issues and heat.

Jimbo
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

It could be something as simple as crap in the bendex..the throw out part on the end...give that part a bloody good wash flush and DO NOT LUBE it...It MUST be assembled dry.
But if the starter has been going for 20 odd yrs, and the intial dizzy advance is not over advanced all it will need is a $20 kit...solenoid replacement parts, new bearings bushes and brushes
Dismantle lay out on the bench in order, clean up replace with parts in the kit....
Re turn the commentator part on the armiture..the copper bit that the brushes run on,
Havnt got a lathe nps .
A bit of fine emery, and a leather boot lace will do just as a good job in about the same time as by the time its mounted in the lath and turned down
Wrap the emery aroinf the commentator with liberal amout of kerosene
Wrap the boot lace around a couple times, grab each end, and pull alternatively to sping the emery ....
Basicaly u have just done a FULL rebuild on your starter motor....not rocket science is it?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 12, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Thanks Steps I will copy this down and off to the garage this weekend to rebuild the unit. I hope?

Jimbo..
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 12, 12:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Steps, that was great! You've brought back my youth.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 12, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Steps, that was great! You've brought back my youth.
IMAO
I dont think there is much in yrs between us m8 lol
There is still a lot of the "fastest Indian" (I assume u guys saw the movie) in us kiwis...we grew up and still to a certain extent... not being able to just pop down to the local spare parts shop for a bit of simple R&R (remove and replace).

OH and that emery...replace with fine wet dry sand paper, and the leather strap with polish crank journals as good if not better than machined.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 04:38 AM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
IMAO
fastest Indian"

Great movie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode