No oil pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I recentyl pulled my engine so I could replace my oil pan and timing cover gaskets. I pur everything back together,and the engine is now back in the car. I go to start it up and the thing is ticking and rattling like crazy. It sounds like there isn't enough oil in the lifters. I mocked up an oil pressure gauge and it shows that I have no pressure in the system. What could be wrong and what can I do to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 01:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Did you remember to re-install:
1. the oil pump drive shaft (goes from the distributor to the oil pump to make it turn)

2. Any oil galley plugs in the rear of the block (doubtful cause you'd see a major oil leak on the ground).

3. oil galley plugs in the front of the block behind the timing chain.

Before starting it again I'd pull the distributor, make sure the shaft is there, and prime the system until I got pressure on a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Use the priming tool that's like the bottom of a distributor and a drill. DON'T start it again until you know it has oil pressure.

Jody
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 02:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Phil,

Ouch! I can't think of much more than Jody covered already. How far apart did the engine come?

We've all had learning experiences along the way. Can we assume there's oil in the pan? Anything can happen and I could see that cute neighbor washing her car in those little shorts she wears... Well you get where I'm coming from! As Jody said "Don't start it wiithout pressure"...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 02, 07:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Dang it Phil, what did you do now?
Hey guy's, I think he's standing in the garage holding a beer bouncing his head back & forth on the wall saying, "stupid, stupid, stupid!
What did you forget Phil?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 02, 06:33 AM
Tech Team

Phil, when you had your pan off could you have bumped your oil pickup tube, either cracking it above the oil line or knocking it loose altogether?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 02, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well guys I fixed the problem. What was the problem you ask, letting someone else work on your car. I had my brother redo the oil pan gasket and when he turned the engine over the oil pump shaft that goes to the distributor fell into the lifter valley. So after running the car with no oil for about 3 minutes I don't think it'll last much longer. I'm going to fire it up again tomorrow (with pressure this time) and see if she's good to go. Maybe if it grenades it'll just force me to go ahead and build that 383 I keep talking about.
Oh yeah, Stevo I don't drink beer anymore. After hooking 5 DUI drivers in the last 4 days and 14 last month I'm pretty much done with that stuff. I can't even stand the smell of it anymore.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 02, 05:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
LOL O.K. you were holding a Pepsi then. LOL Glad to hear it's going to allright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode