ABS Codes on 1996 Z28 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hello there,

I have been experencing some very weird problems with my 1996 Camaro. The ABS INOP light came on and at frist it would come on when I was driving and then the BRAKE light would come on, then the LOW TRACK light would start to flicker, then the LOW TRACK light would stop flickering, stay on for about 3 seconds then they would all go out. I would continue to drive then out of nowhere the ABS INOP light would come back on and the whole process would start over again. Also the lights would go off if I put the emergency brake on.

Now however the ABS INOP light will come on and the BRAKE and LOW TRACK lights flash then any time I come to a complete stop they all go out. I'm going insane and can't find anyone that knows what the hell is wrong with it. The brakes still funcition fine and all the fuses and wires appear to be inplace and connected fine. I have a OBD II scan tool but unfortunatly it will not read ABS codes. Any help will be greatly appreiated, thank you in advance.

The vehicle is a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 with a 6 speed transmission.

Sincerely
Dave Valentino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Yea I checked out the 3rd brake light and still the light continues to go on and off. I removed the 3rd brakes lights and still nothing. It sounds like that would be it since the ABS INOP light only goes off now when I have the brakes on and the car is at a dead stop. But the second I start to go forwards, or backwards the ABS light comes back on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dave Valentino

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

sound's like a sensor or tone wheel problem. a little water a little age and thing's happen. you could also have a ground or power problem to ABS ECU. it is a seperate substem. the main ECU and ABS ECU shake hand's and do diferant thing's but have to agree on when the ABS system is used.

it is kinda like like a big bother watching a younger brother thing.

IMHO take it to a dealer or repair shop. it is not worth the cost of the tool's and stuff to it your self.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 03:41 PM
Team Member
John

Take it to your dealer - he has a tool to scan the ABS computer and pinpoint the fault(s). Nothing you can do with it without pulling the fault codes directly from the ABS computer.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

I had a similar experence with my 95 TA. I had smilar light displays, and when I went to hit the brake, the front driver wheel didn't grip. I was pissed, the car was 18 months old at the time. I took it in and the computer registered a sensor error. They fixed it and for as long as I owned the car, (another year) no problems.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Hello there,

Well I finally got access to a Snap On scan tool and when I ran the ABS Codes every single code that could possible come up did! We drove it around and the vehicle wheel speed readings were very strange, at a constant say 20mph one wheel was reading 95mph while the other was at 40mph and still another reading was at 10mph. Now when I apply the brake the ABS INOP light goes out and when you run the codes nothing shows up but as soon as the car moves codes just flood in to the Scan Tool. I'm thinking it's the ABS modual but I'm scared to even guess how much that costs. I'm taking it to another place on Monday that has a Tech 2 Scan Tool, in the hopes that that will be able to more pin point my problem.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Sincerely
Dave Valentino
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech

you could have a snsor problem!!! or a ground problem. do not junk the modual!

pull the wheel's off and give every sensor a couple of tap's and see what happen's when you then spin the axle with tool hooked up. a little rust on the sensore or tone wheel and you can get this. also a bad ground can cause this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Hello there,

Well I put the car up on ramps and with the and scan tool hooked up checked every wire and moved every conection and it was still just loosing a signal at random intervals. So I took the car in for a diagostic check, however this time they were using a Tech2 Scan tool. Well the verdict is in, the scan tool said that the ABS modual was bad. You don't even want to know how much it is for a new one ($880 just for the moduel no labor!) Well I guess I'm just going to drive around with no ABS untill I can find a used on in a junk yard. Or I might put that electrical engineering degree to work and take the thing apart and see if I can fix it. Thanks for all your help everyone, I really appreiated it.

Sincerely
Dave Valentino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode