Blue Smoke - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 00, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Question

I rebuilt my first motor about 9 months ago, and I think that I made a mistake somewhere. When I go to start it smoke blows out from the exhaust, and the engine seems to choke itself(not the carb). Driving it after that under normal throttle, everthing seems fine. But if I punch it the smoke will start to pour out of the exhaust once again. Also under hard acceleration the oil dipstick will pop up about an inch and some oil will spray out of the oil dipstick tube(seems to happen when it shifts from first to second gear).
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 00, 04:45 PM
Team Member
John

What color is the smoke? The dipstick-popping problem is indicative of excessive crankcase pressure (the next things that will pop are the front and rear main seals). Sounds like your rings haven't seated, and two things are happening - oil is getting past them into the combustion chamber (causing the smoke), and combustion gases are getting past them in the other direction, causing more pressure than the vent system can handle. Smoke at startup usually results from oil coming down the valve guides due either to 1) Worn valve guides, 2) Missing "O"-rings on the second groove of the valves (early engines) or bad or missing valve stem seals (later engines).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 00, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

Many years ago I built a small block and made a mistake. I had the block's machine work done at the local machine shop and they honed the cylinders with a coarse grit stone designed to seat standard black rings. I think it was about an 80 grit stone. I then installed chrome moly rings. The chrome rings require a much finer Hon. I believe maybe 240 grit or finer. The result was that some of my rings seated properly and some did not. I had 240 lbs. of compression in every cylinder and burned a quart of oil every 40 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode